Information Leaking from Black Holes

I think that even if you managed to be able to encode information in a way that could survive a blackhole and invented someway to retrieve the information... where would it go and what would we say?

Just sort of as a more effective message, rather than beaming an overrated beatles song into space

/rant

Just sort of some information about earth, humans, anything!

We wouldn't really need to retrieve the information, wouldn't it just sort of be streaming in all directions?

The problem with information and black holes, is that when information goes into a black hole it will then eventually be radiated back out, due to hawking radiation, however, this radiation is 'random' and it appears the information is lost.

This is the Hawking Black-Hole Information paradox, and we need a quantum theory of gravity to solve it.

Don't ask me. Ask someone who knows what they are talking about. Google it.

Riogho,

This consistent pattern of yours on SFN where you post something as factual, something presented in the absolute, which then someone asks you to elaborate about or post a source to support, and you then respond by saying that they should google it or that you don't know where you read it... It's really getting rather tiresome.

If you can't support it, don't say it in the first place. If you say it, be prepared to support your comments in the face of challenge and inquiry.

Fair enough?

Uhh... Let me find my source.... I'll be right with you.

From Lee Smolin's Book:

The Trouble with Physics Pg 90-91

It is here talking about black hole temperature, and how if you put more energy in, you make the black hole actually cool off.

"This mystery has since challenged every attempt to make a quantum theory of gravity. ... Bekenstein and Hawking treated the black hole as a classical fixed background within which quantum particles moved... They did not describe the black-hole as a quantum mechancial system ..."

"Hawking found still another puzzle lurking.. Because a black hole has temp it will radiate. But the radiation carries energy away from the black hole. Given enough time, all the mass in the blak hole will turn into radiation. At the end of this process... shrunk down to planck mass, an d one needs a quantum theory of gravity to predict the final fate of the black hole."

"During the life of a black hole, it will pull in huge amounts of matter, carrying huge amounts of intrinsic information. At the end, all that's left is a lot of hot radiation, which, being radnom, carries no information at all - and a tiny black hole. Did the information disappear?"

"Hawking made a strong argument that a black hole evaporates away loses information. This appears to contradict quantumt heory, so he called this argument the black-hole information paradox. Any putative quantum theory of gravity needs to resolve it"