Arthur C. Clarke Dead at 90

Pangloss

Too bad. I'm reading Rama III by him right now.

Is it any good? The first one is one of my all-time favorites, but some of his later sequels, especially the ones "co-written" (read "ghost-written") by Gentry Lee were kinda lame. Too much human drama, not enough hard science.

Someone remind me when one his first came out, Childhoods End. Bought it in paperback when it was first published. Seems like a lifetime ago. More fantasy than science though, but with some fine imaginative descriptions of extraterestrial planetary topography and scenary.

Oh, damn, perhaps it was C.S. Lewis..... memory fading.

There are a number of authors from the SFWA Grand Master list that are still around, and many of the old guard of first- or second-generation SF authors, but the old convention was that there were three grand masters in the first generation of SF authors -- Heinlein, Clarke and Asimov -- because each of those three had such a profound influence on the genre. The list was never considered thorough and it's always been recognized that it wasn't really fair, and the authors themselves often called it silly and pointless. I mainly mentioned it just because it's such a familiar cliche with people in my generation.

I can't for the life of me remember where this unofficial bestowment originated from. John W. Campbell may be the culprit here -- I believe he published the first (or some of the first) stories of all three authors (in Astounding).

Is it any good? The first one is one of my all-time favorites, but some of his later sequels, especially the ones "co-written" (read "ghost-written") by Gentry Lee were kinda lame. Too much human drama, not enough hard science.

Well, Rama II had a psychopathic crew member, half the crew dead by the end of the series, shamans, magical drinks, prophesies, and if it had some actual science I didn't notice it. I don't mind human drama, but I could do without the magic part, which was not even part of the plot. Haven't finished the third one, but so far it doesn't have magic, but is again full of human drama. Also, I either missed a big chunk of the series (the first meeting with the Node), or the plot has been slice'n diced.