Quantum Mechanics

antimatter

I need a little help understanding how quanta and elementary particles tie in to quantum mechanics. I understand both of them, but it's the concept of quantum mechanics that gets me, it seems really random.

Can someone help explain the concept to me?

Everything is actually waves, and the waves — which represent things like the position/momentum/energy of the entity in question — must conform to boundary conditions. This excludes a great many solutions from being possible; the solutions that are left are discrete.

Thanks for replying, but I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "everythng is actually waves", do you mean everything as in energy?

And how do waves represent those things?

sorry, it takes me a while to get these concepts sometimes

Well you see the idea of wave and particle breaks down in quantum mechanics.

When we said everything is a wave, we would also have been correct in saying everything is a particle, depending how you measure something it will appear to be either one...

Photons are waves, and they are particles, as are electrons...

Quantisation comes into play because the energies (and other values) of these particles/waves only have fixed quantised values...

To add to IA...

The two classic examples are the young double slit experiment showing that photons (or lots of other stuff) are waves, and the photoelectric effect, showing that photons only come in discrete packets and are therefore particles.

In this case I don't think wave packets is what I meant by the term packet. I meant a lump of energy, a single discrete thing. Not a continuous wave...

The space in between, well it depends what medium you're moving through.

• 1 month later...

I am not sure any help for you but I would recommend the textbook

Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, 2nd Edition

that I use it when i was in university. This is a good quantum mechanice and should be easy to understand. Anyway, wish some help.

Everything is actually waves, and the waves — which represent things like the position/momentum/energy of the entity in question — must conform to boundary conditions. This excludes a great many solutions from being possible; the solutions that are left are discrete.

Have you read how deBroglie derived his "wave-particle duality" equation?

Have you read Planck's article in which he expounded the "quantum"?

Have you read how deBroglie derived his "wave-particle duality" equation?

Have you read Planck's article in which he expounded the "quantum"?

Yes to the first, no to the second. Why, is that something you feel is important? Original papers are "works in progress." Concepts get refined and errors get corrected.