Gyroscope

Crash

i was just wondering.......

you all know a gyroscope? well if you had counter spinning discs on the same gyroscope (not taking into acount the friction etc.) would the net force cancel each other out and it would fall over? or not..........

im in the eprocess of making one now...damn decent brass is hard to find

feedback please

it would still work as if you just had one spinning at twice the speed and same weight or twice the weight and same speed :)

the dirrection is irrelevent if they`re both on the same axis, the momentum is all that matters.

they do NOT cancel out! you may be sure :)

Cap'n Refsmmat said in post # :

I think YT is right. It's not the whole net force, it's the force of each spinning disc. They both have a stabilization effect. In this case, a negative and a positive is not zero.

Well, I'm siding with basic physics so you can think whatever you like. Considering YT hasn't actually given a mechanism, just some effects, I have to wonder what criteria you're using to make that decision.

Sayonara³ said in post # :

Well, I'm siding with basic physics so you can think whatever you like. Considering YT hasn't actually given a mechanism, just some effects, I have to wonder what criteria you're using to make that decision.

And tell me, why do you pick me instead of the other two or three people that say it would stay upright? :mad::mad::mad:

Let's see what happens when he makes it.

Cap'n Refsmmat said in post # :

And tell me, why do you pick me instead of the other two or three people that say it would stay upright? :mad::mad::mad:

Let's see what happens when he makes it.

I think you mean one person (SmokingSkillz), and I've pointed out already that he proceeded from a false premise. Unless you count YT, although we are already disagreeing so he's not really a valid selection.

But to answer your question, you are claiming strawman. I did not "pick you" because you said it will stay upright: I was pointing out that your agreeing with YT was based on unevidenced claims. I can't very well aim a response to you at anyone else, now can I?

And I can tell you now what will happen - it will rattle around a bit, skitter away, and "fall over" (if a gyroscope can do such a thing).

I guess the centre pole stabalizes the whole thing. 1 centre pole cannot lean to balance two fluctuating weights, but two centre poles work individually. Like a tornado, which leans to balance itself. It leans to the heavier side, but by the time it has leaned, the heavier side has spun to the other side. Its juggling the weight.

that pert was right, the rest was a little off though. Iam not so sure whether the tornado example reallz works, but it could be a gyroscope effect, I will have to think about that. The real reason that a gyroscope turns slowly around an axis perpendicular to the ground (parallel to gravity) is to do with torque on the body. The following site explains it quite nicely, so I won't go into it in more detail here.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/gyroscope.htm

You could try something bendy instead of two poles. I was thinking about the tornado, it's like lots of gyroscopes with a bendy middle. That would be really cool made from metal. I can imagine it as a sarealistic weapon with jagged edges in a movie!

Pincho.