Hubble Produces Ultra Deep Field Images

fafalone

The Hubble space telescope has produced its most amazing image yet, capturing a field of nearly 10,000 galaxies with an single picture taking 800 exposures over 11.3 days to complete. The image shows galaxies never before visible dating back to the first billion years of the universe, which includes a good amount of irregularly shaped galaxies and galaxies interacting with eachother. It's a real shame one man in NASA's fear of political criticism is destroying one of the most useful devices in the history of space.

For the full press release, and lots of images:

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsdesk/archive/releases/2004/07/

Cap'n Refsmmat said in post # :

I always wondered... how can they make one long exposure if it orbits the earth? Doesn't the earth block the light?

There are gyroscopes to keep it in the right direction and it isn't one long exposure but 800 shorter ones (maybe 10min. each)

Cap'n Refsmmat said in post # :

I always wondered... how can they make one long exposure if it orbits the earth? Doesn't the earth block the light?

Well, if you actually read through the site, you'd see it only took 2 exposures each time it was in a certain part of the Earth orbit, since it took 400 orbits.

The colors in this picture are amazing. I always used to have dreams of looking up into space and seeing this. Then you start seeing the UFO's and waking up never comes too soon after that point.

Do the colors come from different ammounts of elements per galaxie?

Many pictures use colour as a representation of the spectrum meaning this is not necessary what you will see with your eyes.

This image has been taken with two different devices. (diff. spectrum)

(the computer made one image of it)

Quote from that article:

In addition to distant galaxies, the longer infrared wavelengths are sensitive to galaxies that are intrinsically red, such as elliptical galaxies and galaxies that have red colors due to a high degree of dust absorption.

The Hubble is obviously the money, and it's a damn shame that it's going to be put out of use. I like the comparison of ground based images to hubbles' images. That sucks man. NASA needs to stand up for the Hubble.

• 5 weeks later...
The Hubble is obviously the money, and it's a damn shame that it's going to be put out of use. I like the comparison of ground based images to hubbles' images. That sucks man. NASA needs to stand up for the Hubble.

I'm sure they want to keep the hubble up and running. But there are plans for bigger and better, and the hubble would become a finincal drain. Its going on 14 yrs old(April 24th) and would probably be far outdated by 2010. I know there are a few plans of future telescopes in the works. One for sure is an infared telescope.

blame a public oversensitive to people dying while something useful is being done and undersensitive to pointless deaths.