Elementary Mass

Ashish

The elementary charge (symbol e or sometimes q) is the electric charge carried by a single proton, or equivalently, the negative of the electric charge carried by a single electron

It has a value of 1.602 176 487 × 10^(-19) Coloumb.

So is there any elementary mass

Listen, the elementary charge like you posted is:

[math]q_e=1.609 \times 10^{-19}C[/math] that is the charge of an electron or a proton. The smallest charge existing.

And the elementary mass is the mass of the electron which is:

[math]m_e=9.1 \times 10^{-31}kg[/math].

You mention atomic unit. That equals [math]1.6605 \times 10^{-27}kg[/math]

and it has been taken by convention to make the calculations easier!

• 4 years later...

solid state chemistry and Im aware of its value. even roughly aware thats its obtained as (m©/12)/(6.02E23), correct me if Im wrong because I did the calculation on the graphing calc and got 1.66261074E-27. Im using m©=0.0120107kg.

solid state chemistry and Im aware of its value. even roughly aware thats its obtained as (m©/12)/(6.02E23), correct me if Im wrong because I did the calculation on the graphing calc and got 1.66261074E-27. Im using m©=0.0120107kg.

That's a standard mass unit (the atomic mass unit), not elementary mass, i.e. a quantized unit, in keeping with the subject of the OP. amu is used because it is scale-appropriate for nuclear, atomic and molecular calculations.