A male horse and a female donkey produce a mule; which is because their species diverged not too long ago. Most (99.999%+) mules are sterile.

However this is a special case and the vast majority of species cannot interbreed.

fafalone said in post # :

No, it's not possible unless such a creature was genetically engineered. Naturally reproducing the chromosomes simply wouldn't match up.

like in Horses and Zebra perhaps? or Horses and Donkeys? How about lion and tigers, and false whales/dolphins? When we look at the karyotypes of the different horse varieties there are much larger differences than between humans and chimps. The difference is not so much the magnitude of the differences, but the specificities. Is there anything in the sperm/egg function or the embryological formation of a chimp/human hybrid that would render it inviable?

Radical Edward said in post # :

like in Horses and Zebra perhaps? or Horses and Donkeys? How about lion and tigers, and false whales/dolphins? When we look at the karyotypes of the different horse varieties there are much larger differences than between humans and chimps. The difference is not so much the magnitude of the differences, but the specificities. Is there anything in the sperm/egg function or the embryological formation of a chimp/human hybrid that would render it inviable?

Well the biggest obstacle is the different number of chromosomes, particularly since this involves chromosome #2 in humans (aka very large), since chimps lack a compatible second chromosome, it would result in a monosomy; monosomy 2 has never been reported to survive more than a few hours.

The monkey wasn't half human in the end, but I think that each species reaches a mutation stage, a stage where the species all suffer from matching gene mutations, at this time in their evolution, they might be able to mate with many similar creatures. We would be required to mate with chimps, but I believe that we will not reach our mutation cycle due to cloning. If it is true that we reach a mutation stage to evolve, then us humans are never going to evolve any further than the point that we have reached now. We are not likely to mate with chimps, so we are not likely to evolve into anything else. This is just another of my wild theories to be ignored.

Pincho.

atinymonkey said in post # :

Did he say that, give you stange look and carry on peeling your banana?

Monkeys don't peel bananas before eating them. :D

We would be required to mate with chimps, but I believe that we will not reach our mutation cycle due to cloning.

CLONING? Who's cloning?

If it is true that we reach a mutation stage to evolve, then us humans are never going to evolve any further than the point that we have reached now. We are not likely to mate with chimps, so we are not likely to evolve into anything else.

No, we just mutate when we feel like it, as shown by genetic defects at birth. It's evolution that failed, it came out bad.

If we just mutate when we feel like it, does that mean that if i continually sky dive, and my children sky dive, and their children sky dive, one day, our family will have bones fragile enough to lift off and fly? :)

fafalone said in post # :

Well the biggest obstacle is the different number of chromosomes, particularly since this involves chromosome #2 in humans (aka very large), since chimps lack a compatible second chromosome, it would result in a monosomy; monosomy 2 has never been reported to survive more than a few hours.

oh look:

human--chimp--gorilla--orang utan.

hum_ape_chrom_2.gif

I always think that is a great picture.

ok, so the hybrid might not survive very long, but it might still be carried to term though. I have tried looking up monosomy 2 and couldn't find much.