Advice

Fred56

Anyone want to give me an opinion on whether I should study Philosophy or Anthropology towards a Phy/Math qual? (I mean based on what you may have seen of any of the drek I've left behind here at'forum...)

Well, I do not know your interests or what really you intend to achieve in life but Phy/Math is something very very special. I mean, by studying them you really get a sense of knowing what the world really is, why everything is the way it is, why everything happens and what makes them happen. You just know the world! You don't get stuck at anything and you feel like you really belong here. I'd strongly recommend Phy/Math!

Given that I didn't understand the given limited choices, philosophy would be my given choice. But I'd focus on the philosophy of science.

Otherwise I've personally found some basic microbiology and molecular biology to give a nice complement to the typically dry physics/math education. That aspect of "life" and complexity has provided me with a healthy perspective, almost like a missing link. But I didn't appreciate this until afterwards. I think a broad education is better than a narrow one, to see the connection between the simple and the complex, big and small, dead and alive, the list goes on.

/Fredrik

Yo, I'm looking at one Bio philosophy course. I guess it's a new term for anthropological studies, maybe.

I want to do Math though (I have EE papers to 3rd yr), and I'd like to do topology, Lie algebras and groups and so on. But they don't let you in 'til 4th yr.

(I'm a postgrad, apparently -once you have that first- used to be undergrad, grad, postgrad). Here at the U of Akl, you can enrol in a Postgrad Dip. which is apparently more flexible than say a MSc. (according to the Math course advisor I talked to recently)

So I'm a philosopher, huh? Never would have thought...

Fred,

I'd actually advise against philosophy for you. In philosophy, one proves an initial premise and then uses logic to argue from that proven premise. You seem to struggle proving your own premises, and simply assert truths with little support. I am concerned that you would fail miserably when taking philosophy for a grade, as (despite any interest in your topic or suggestion) no grad student or professor will take unsupported premises seriously.

Have you considered theology?

I'm not entirely sure why you want to take anthropology unless you're just interested in the subject, but if you are, go for it. It's just a generally useful field in the modern world, and I imagine it would give insight into the cultural context in which science occurs. Perhaps I'm stretching a bit.