Physics of Sound Question

Guest ViEternal83

Guest ViEternal83

Why are children's voices typically higher pitched than adult's?

Does it have something to do with their windpipe?

Complete explanations would be very helpful.

Much thanks.

That's it exactly. At puberty, the larynx of males grows larger (giving the 'adams apple') and the vocal cords (which are simply folds of the lining of the larynx) thicken so the pitch drops, and the voice 'breaks'. This doesn't happen in females, so the voice remains at a higher pitch.

Wear and tear (smoking, shouting etc.) also thicken the membranes lowering the pitch.

By the way, is there a medical/physical/biological question that men's voices change (and in specific - what you explained in your answer, Glider) and women's voices don't?

If its "only" a matter of growing up, theb both genders' voices shoulod have changed. Why only the males voices change, then?

both do :)

the male change through hormones creates a larger vocal cavity (deeper and more resonant) the "adams apple" as is partly as result of this expansion.

as for the REASON, I`ve no idea? maybe it had some evolutionary or survival purpose many millenia ago? :)

maybe it`s because children respond better to a voice similar to their own (the mother) a bit better. and so we ALL may have changed, but the females that didn`t, stood a better chance of sucesfully raising children? Who Knows :)

Somewhat of a sidenote, but:

I remember my music teacher telling me of when women were not allowed in the theatre/opera, so in order for directors to cast female roles, they would use neutered young males who hadn't gone through puberty prior to their neutering.

:eek: