Teeth on Edge?

YT2095

has anyone ever that expression before or "Stop making that sound, it`s putting my teeth on edge".

things like the Skrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech when finger nails go down a blackboard, or rubbing polystyrene together.

it seems to make some people go crazy, almost as if the sound hurts them?

they will cringe, or shout at you, and at the very least not want you to do it again! :)

what causes this?

I find it`s also interesting that not everyone has the same triggers.

the person that does the nails down the blackboard seems largely unaffected for instance (I`ve done it myself and it doesn`t bother me).

but getting a bread knife to cut sheets or blocks of polystyrene gives me shivers and I hate it (even thinking about it). what the hell causes it? LOL :)

There are certain things that I can't stand touching. It's a similar feeling. I hate drinking from paper cups, or paper drinking straws. I also don't like eating peaches with the furry skin. It might be a different response though, just with a similar obnoxious result.

Pincho.

I used to get a similar effect from the paper used in old blue print machines. it felt sort of powdery and wuold go a bit shiny if scratched, just touching that stuff gives me the creeps and I have no logic reason WHY!? and that in itself annoys me as much as the darn paper does/did :)

I had the same response to the blue copies from hell. I also hate to touch frosted glass.

I have no problems with polystyrene regardless of what you do to it (within reason ;) ) but I hate fingernails on on blackboard. The reason is that I imagine the feeling of my fingernails dragging along the slightly rough surface {shudder} it's not the noise it's the thought of doing it.

I had a friend at school who really reacted badly to the blackboard torture. He came in one day with a pot filled with chili pepper, mustard and all sorts of other hot things. He slugged it back and the effect of the concoction of hot spices allowed him to drag his fingernails up and down the blackboard like a man possessed.

So, either hot condiments are a cure or (and I think this is more likely) my friend was just a madman.

it used to be a description of an irritation

These descriptive meanings usually have a truth to them, and this thread is to find out where the true meaning comes from. You can imagine your teeth recieving a high frequency wave, like glass can be broken by a high frequency wave. Some people say "It gives me the judders." It can create a muscle reaction. That's another odd reaction to a sound, of feeling. Music can make your spine tingle, another strange sensation. Teeth on edge, is much harder to define though. Can anyone explain it?

Pincho.

YT2095 said in post # :

And so...

does anyone have any idea why it`s called "Teeth on edge" and what causes this effect?

maybe Glider will know? but all ideas are welcome :)

Well, styrofoam actually makes my teeth feel like they are being cut in half, front to back... that is probably where the name came from.

Maybe the sound intensity and frequency is too high?

It's not that.  People use funky little oscilators all the time and don't have any sort of response to it.  It probably has to do with the pitch, but not just because it is high.  More likely it is because of more than one high pitch at the same time, some sort of sound pattern that is different for every person.

it`s possibly a combination of sounds thinking about it. in polystyrene each little particle (or ball) will make a small squeek when cut, 100`s of them all a little different wouldn`t be deep (rich) enough to make white noise, but certainly a bad combo and not in "tune" I mention tune deliberately because if any of you have experienced the sound of a Violin in the hands of a beginner, will know what bad tune sounds like! :)

it would be interesting to see what the most irritating sound would be, take a sound bite of it, amp it up to a few 100db and use it for an Alarm system :)

I agree, what are we deffending ourselves against?

it`s clear that no harm will come to us from hearing it.

maybe it`s an evolution thing? perhaps that sound or something similar meant some kind of danger in cave man days, or maybe something from childhood AHA! whilst typing this idea occured, could it be something with Dentists and drills or the sound teeth make when they rub together before they come out (baby teeth)?

just a thought :)

I never had the prob before about the age of 9(ish).

and the blue copies were the only thing available then, I`de often cut cardboard with a knife and polystyrene, never had an issue with it. this just gets more and more baffling all the time :)

I never had a problem with paper straws until I got a piece of wood in my foot when I was about 8. Now I find it hard to touch unvarnished wood, and a lot of paper objects. The blackboard thing wouldn't really be likely to happen until you are about 9 simply by statistics. What I mean is, you have to be at school, and it's not likely to happen right away.

Pincho.