Zillion bubbles in viscous fluid...

Externet

Am back with my bubbles :rolleyes: ; would like opinions on what would happen if very fine air bubbles are released from aquarium type stones under a fluid as viscous as honey.

The actual test will happen in a few days as am waiting for some supplies but will apreciate your opinion before.

I believe large bubbles would surface and eventually pop, but small ones (smaller than ~1mmØ) would stay trapped at least several hours.

The question is; if the supply of bubbles does not stop from the bottom of the container; how will the mix behave; will there be a limit of expansion ? Will tunneling to release the air develop ?

I find it hard to visualize. Help please.

Miguel

i think it depends on the rate of release, if the air pressure is too high, you'll make a path of least resistance, a small patch of air stone functions and the bubbles would tunnel. lower pressures and fairly large, uniform air stones would make a decent amount of foam.

The fine bubbles nornally generated in water will combined into larger bubbles and float to the top of the honey. It is sort of like simmering water and simmering something viscous like spagetti sause. The higher viscosity takes more work to overcome, such that some of the the energy put into the tiny bubble surface tension, will need to be used up, resulting in larger bubbles. If you start adding water to the honey, the viscosity will lower and the bubbles will get smaller.