Moving Data Through EM Waves?

Iruka

Ok, I was wondering if a EM Wave can carry data, I do belive that i heard or read that they could, but I need to know how i could get a EM Wave, more pacificly, Radio Waves, to carry huge amount of data, like a video, not just the small audio waves... I have a little FM Radio Tranmiter, that a radio can pick up, but it can only carry audio files, is it posible to, as above, have it carry high amounts of data at once, and have it be picked up by a laptop with a Radio Adapter?

Thank,

-Iruka

P.S. Im relly sorry if i seam like a idoit with this post, but im only 13, so dont be to harsh...

It's certainly possible. However, I think that using radio would be too slow for "high amounts of data at once" and more trouble setting it up than it would be worth.

Infrared (IR) is a region of EM waves with a higher frequency than radio. I think it would be fairly easy to find an IR port for a laptop. You also have the added benefit of the FCC not hassling you for unlicensed FM broadcast.

It's certainly possible. However, I think that using radio would be too slow for "high amounts of data at once" and more trouble setting it up than it would be worth.

Infrared (IR) is a region of EM waves with a higher frequency than radio. I think it would be fairly easy to find an IR port for a laptop. You also have the added benefit of the FCC not hassling you for unlicensed FM broadcast.

Err... But doesent a IR only transfer data at a single point, like this:

-----o

Im looking for a wide range 'wave' like this:

(((*)))

so i can be in any point in the range and still recive data, and also have multiple recivers..

Set up Wi-Fi?

The point here is to make my own, so i want to know what EM wave at what frequency ect. i sould use. If i wanted to set up wi-fi, i would use Bluetooth or Netgear...but i want somthig i made...

There's several ways to encode digital data into analog media. One of the most common is quadrature amplitude modulation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrature_amplitude_modulation

The data rate is controlled by three variables:

1) Bits per quadrature, which represents how much data is encoded into each "symbol"

2) Quadratures per second, otherwise known as the baud rate

3) Total multiplexed channels. To boost throughput, you can transmit data on multiple frequencies simultaneously

Multiply these three values together to calculate total throughput

There's several ways to encode digital data into analog media. One of the most common is quadrature amplitude modulation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrature_amplitude_modulation

The data rate is controlled by three variables:

1) Bits per quadrature, which represents how much data is encoded into each "symbol"

2) Quadratures per second, otherwise known as the baud rate

3) Total multiplexed channels. To boost throughput, you can transmit data on multiple frequencies simultaneously

Multiply these three values together to calculate total throughput

Ok, this sounds good, but could i show the bottom of my frst post?

P.S. Im relly sorry if i seam like a idoit with this post' date=' but im only 13, so dont be to harsh...

[/quote']

So.. how about english? Sorry if i soud rude, but i cant understand a single thing you said besides: There's several ways to encode digital data into analog media.

Are you interested in transmitting digital data, or just video? If your interests are video, there are much simpler analog schemes like NTSC.

Your best bet might be to get involved with a local ham radio club and express interest in transmitting video. Would you be more interested in something like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_television

Are you interested in transmitting digital data, or just video? If your interests are video, there are much simpler analog schemes like NTSC.

Your best bet might be to get involved with a local ham radio club and express interest in transmitting video. Would you be more interested in something like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_television

I'm sorry, a video was a bad example. No, im not instrested in transmitting video, only high data files, like an exe or zip or rar with a data of 1-3 or higher mb... Im sorry again, that i confused you in to thinking i was wanting to transfer video.

well, you can send binary over radiowaves. you just need to build a receiver that can work out what is a 1 and what is a zero.

Unipolar signaling using a continuous wave is probably the best approach.

Iruka, to start with, you should try building a radio transmitter and receiver. After that you can build an oscillator to hook to the transmitter in order to transmit a continuous wave.

Unipolar signaling using a continuous wave is probably the best approach.

Iruka, to start with, you should try building a radio transmitter and receiver. After that you can build an oscillator to hook to the transmitter in order to transmit a continuous wave.

Thanks, i think i will try that!

-Iruka

Radio Waves, to carry huge amount of data, like a video, not just the small audio waves

Yes. TV transmission is carried out in the Radio wave part of the spectrum. In the Very High Frequency and ultra High Frequency bands.

Err... But doesent a IR only transfer data at a single point, like this:

-----o

Im looking for a wide range 'wave' like this:

(((*)))

The higher the frequency of EM wave, the more energy it takes to transmit it. As IR is a higher frequency than RF (radio frequency), it take more power to transmit over the same distances. Even so, the power requirements of transmitting RF over a significant difference is quite high.

Broadcasting a signal also drastically increases the the power requirement. As the signal has to cover a much greater volume than a narrow beam would.

I'm sorry, a video was a bad example. No, im not instrested in transmitting video, only high data files, like an exe or zip or rar with a data of 1-3 or higher mb... Im sorry again, that i confused you in to thinking i was wanting to transfer video.

It is a matter of the amount of data. If you are just transmitting a file, then a 100mb AVI movie file has the same requirements as 100mb of text files. Streaming video on the other hand requires that the link be stable (as interruption of the signal will cause missed data).

The other problem is interference. With IR there are many IR sources (people, sunlight, etc) and these can cause interference. With RF, there are not all that many strong RF sources (except human made ones and that is why RF transmission is regulated) on Earth (there is some and they too can cause interference).

The range is the important thing, nobody cares if you transmit around your house. Nobody cares if you transmit to your whole street if you are not interfering with anything, as nobody can tell, however you may well be and not know about it, so to be safe if you are transmitting at any distance find out what ranges are legal for what you want to do.