LPG gas stored in cylinders

dichotomy

Hello,

are there any compressed gas experts about?

I’ve a question regarding LPG gas stored in cylinders.

What would happen if a 60ltr cylinder containing LPG was shot with a gun and pierced? Or, if the container was struck by an automobile and ruptured?

Is it likely to cause much harm and damage?

I’m having a debate with my OH&S rep about the likelihood of fatality caused by a rupture to a cylinder. Considering just how many gas containers there are in the world (BBQs, caravans, cars, etc). I’m assuming that the fatalities are very low, particularly when compared with something like automobile collisions that result in death.

Cheers. :)

What would happen if a 60ltr cylinder containing LPG was shot with a gun and pierced? Or, if the container was struck by an automobile and ruptured?

Is it likely to cause much harm and damage?

Hopefully someone else will chime in with some detail (as I am, by no means, a compressed gas expert... although, my girlfriend may argue otherwise ;) ), but your question reminded me of a few episodes of Mythbusters, so maybe this will be of temporary assistance:

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode63

A compressed air cylinder can blast itself through a concrete wall. (From episode 63)

CONFIRMED

Once the MythBusters constructed a launch tube and perfected shearing off the cylinder’s valve, the cylinder shot entirely through their constructed cinder block wall and damaged the solid concrete wall behind it. The MythBusters were also aware of recorded instances of such a thing happening.

http://mythbustersresults.com/special8

If a pressurized scuba tank is shot, it will explode. (From episode 8)

BUSTED

When the tank was punctured by a bullet it simply decompressed quickly, causing it to fly around like a compressed-air rocket. The team was only able to make the tank explode in the end by using explosives.

Note: The episode below is a regular gas tank, but was cool all the same.

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode38

REVISITED: A gas tank will explode when shot by a bullet. (From episode 15)

BUSTED

It has already been proven that when shot by a normal bullet a gasoline tank will not explode. However, if a gasoline tank is shot by a tracer round from a great enough distance so that the round can ignite with air friction, it will cause the gasoline to catch fire. By the time this happened the tank was so riddled with bullets (from previous tracers that were fired too close to ignite) that there was no contained pressure, but the MythBusters surmised that had the tank been properly enclosed, it may have exploded; but overall it remains extremely improbable.

Thanks iNow,

I've seen those episodes of M.B. A top show.

Maybe I'll just have to wait for the LPG cylinder episode to confirm my skepticism of their 'blown outta proportion' danger.

Oh, maybe you should layoff the beans. ;)

cheers.

It seems that if you make sure there's a fire to light the gas you get quite a hazardous effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFPedGsqtrs

Dear me! did I just cite youtube as a reference?

I must admit. I did get a chuckle out of that. :D :D :D

Looks like you need a deliberate fire, and have to wait around for a minute for the cylinder to shoot off on that particular test. It didn't seem to explode as such. Just 'rocket' away. Cool.

cheers.