Invited Guests

I was thinking that it might be a nice idea to invite prominent scientists to post here, and perhaps have a short quasi-lecture format, or a question and answer format. This will be dependent on their available time however and of course their willingness to do so. Also I think it would be important to try and ensure that there is an audience for them too, so that there are few questions. I propose that when a guest is to be invited, first we discuss who we want to invite, and then approach them. The format would be then that either we let them duscuss a topic of their choosing, or suggest one, which they post on a moderated forum, and then have a moderated question and answer session, where the questions are posted to the moderator, and then the moderator posts them on the forum. The reason I suggest this, is that it ensures that the Questions are of a good standard, and it avoids them being bombarded with spam questions (perhaps we might need to limit private messaging to them too)

how many people would be interested in this sort of thing?

it would certainly be interesting reading!

A Dr at Birminghan uni that I know quite well might chat if I ask him nice enough and offer a few beers, he`s doing Super conductor research, he`s also a Hitch Hickers Guide fan too :)

no promises as I haven`t asked yet, but if this idea takes off and works out, I`ll mail him or give him a bell :)

I would gladly give you his his name and website, but after recent trolling against me, I`ll leave that to PM`s only!

Sounds like a good idea. Another site similar to this one - philosophy based though - has a scheduled chat for this sort of thing.

It might flow better and the invited scientist may be more likely to participate in something that is more of a dialogue rather than just swapping posts.

The transcript can be made available afterwards and any follow up questions can be forwared to the guest.

We've considered doing this in past using the chat room, where only voiced users can talk, and having all questions relayed through the guest through moderators. This has the advtange of only requiring a small portion of a guests time, but has the disadvantage of needing a large number of participants from our user base as well.

We could avoid the time zone issue by doing the Q&A on the forum. After someone had agreed to do it, we could open a thread and pick the best questions. Then we could email him the questions, he could respond, and then post them. That way he can do it on his own time.

that sounds ok :)

when you get the layout all sorted, maybe start a thread on super conductors to pick out the best question and I`ll mail them to him :)

I`ll need to know the rough layout of how it`ll work, and then explain to him wtf I`m up to and ask if he`de be interested in sharing his time with us. I`m sure he would as we`ve spent hours chatting about it between lectures. I just hope he doesn`t hold it against me that we aint mailed each other for a year or so LOL :)