Ender's Game

-Demosthenes-

i just read it as an "outside reading book" in highschool.

one of the few books that i actually wanted to spend the time reading (others are "Harry Potter" and "Ringworld").

btw, is that why you're screen name is demonsthenes?

i have read ender's game too. It is an excellent book. So good in fact, that i think anyone who likes science fiction needs to read it. And as for anyone that doesn't like scifi -- well, i got me hooked :D Yeah, it was the first scifi book that i read that i actaully liked, before that i was a fantasy junkie. But around my 8th or 9th grade year, my bro handed me this book and was like -- hey check this thing out. SO i did, and now were i am :)

Anyways, enders game rocks! I also really liked Xenocide (but i think i am in a minority there) also by Orson scott card. Other scifi books that i have really, really enjoyed (just in case you are ever looking for more books and you want to trust a stranger for recommendations) are:

The moon is a harsh mistress, by Robert Heinlen

I have heard it said that this is the most read science fiction book of all time. I would belive it. It is a very well concieved and written book about a penal colony on the moon.

A fire upon the deep by Vernor Vinge

This book has some of the coolest ideas i have ever read in scifi. However, his writting style does not flow as well as other authors -- which can make him somewhat hard to read. Also this book is slow for the firt 50 pages or so, so you have to be pacient. Yeah, but despite this, it is a great book! If you want a slightly faster, less confusing, easier to read book, check out A deepness in the sky. It is a bit faster paced and, concequntly, a bit easier to read. Unfourtunaltely it does not have all of hte cool ideas of his other book, but that is OK. THis book is still one of the better books i have ever read.

Crytonomicon by neil stephenson

Not scifi in the classical sense (ie. in space) but rather by definition (it is about sciency stuff, and the book is fiction), this is one of the funniest books i have ever read. But it is still quite serious and a fun journey. Stephenson is a great word-smith who does a good job of inventing characters and sending then on kinda crazy adventures. A great book man!

The hitchikers guide to the galaxy by douglas adams.

If you have graduated high school and you like dry humor, but you have not read this book (and theo ther four that come after it) stop everything you are doing and read it now! That is all i am going to say about this :)

CHildhoods end and rendezvous with rama[/u] by Arthur C clark

WHile not really realated, these are just two of the books that Clark has written that i really enjoyed. Of course if you like how he writes then there are many many more books out there that he has written :)

WEll, i could ramble on and on about books, but you prolly don't want to read about them from a crazy man. SO i will stop. I am sure that there are many more books that i have not mentioned that other will tell you about. I just wrote out a few that popped to the top of my head :)

Cool. ANd happy reading :D

Demosthenes? Someone finally caught on! It was one of Peter's name on the net. I thought it would be cool.

Do you know the religion of Orson Scott Card (the author of Ender's game) he's LDS! like me! It's fun to pick out all the hidden concepts in his books (unless I make them up in my own mind :P) And if you like Ender's Game I think you would really like "Ender's Shadow", "The Shadow of the Hegomon", and "The shadow Puppets". You might like "Speaker for the dead", "Xenocide", or "children of the Mind".

atinymonkey said in post #5 :

Demosthenes? I thought it was an ironic name, what with the one word posts here and there.

Honest, I thought it was quite clever!

One word posts? I guess most of my posts are in the religious forum.

Pebbles?

Has anyone read the other books in the Ender's Game series:

1) Ender's Game

2) Speaker of the dead

3) Xenocide

5) Children of the Mind

Or the parallel series:

1) Ender's Shadow

2) Shadow of the Hegomon

3) Shadow Puppets

-Demosthenes- said in post # :

About Peter's name on the nets, or the Greek guy?

actually, Demosthenes was the name peter came up with for his sister to use. Peter himself used Locke. (i have no idea if you know that or not, but i'm just pointing it out)

But in the "The shadow of the Hegomon" (Which is the last one I read) Peter did both because Valentine (his sister) left with Ender at the end of Ender's game to some far away planet. Anyway, when Valintine was writing under the name Denosthenes Peter told her everything to write.

So, Peter had two names on the Nets (what they call their version of the internet in the book) Locke was the one he used to influence people and to gain popularity, and Demosthenes was used to anger people and get them to do things and to think. I act more like the second part, so I used that one.

• 2 months later...

I read enders game and I though it was WAY overrated. I thought it was good but not nearly as good as everybody made it out to be. I think there are some MUCH better Science fiction/fantasy books out there.

I personly failed to see why they truly needed him at all and why any adult could not have done what he did at the end. If he was truly a genius then the auther should have made him look more like a genius. Aperently they were runing out of time but the kid still spent all that time playing the same game where he could have goten the tactics down in a much shorter time.

By the way im sorry if I mispelled anything, I reformated my hard drive and no longer have word installed yet.

I really liked Ender's game and Ender's shadow. The rest were okay but those I think were awesome. I really liked those two. He writes those books kinda like Asmov, a little. I've read Asmov and it's hard to understand, but this was way easy to read.

By the way what are some books that you liked, I would like to read them they sound good.

• 8 months later...
Guest Specter

Hello, my coposter in the forums. I see you like to use my username. Oh well, Demosthenes. I am the Demosthenes of Americanforum.net, so I wanted you to know that our site is currently doing background checks, but we in the Electronic Army are doing well. Please contact my email, neomopia@yahoo.com, and if you aren't busy, please ask me about my Demosthenic Theory. Thank U, bye.

Ender's Game was very good, and I agree that Ringworld was also excellent, thats the book that got me started on hard SF.

Also excellent books: Dune and its sequal. Neuromancer. I could give you more, but these are keystones in sciencfiction writing, both amazing books.

Yes they where great books and as t comments of using adults vs kids they used the kids cause they could train them early and much better for their needs.

Peter controlled both identies but val was incharge of one so that their writting styiles could not be matched also from what i understand later on in the book val realy starts to become more independent of peter in her writting.

SF in which the bulk of the science is well founded and the rest is given at least a veneer of plausibility. At the other end of the spectrum you merge into Fantasy.

Exactly. Niven's stuff, like Ringworld, or Clarke's stuff, like Rendezvous with Rama are hard science fiction. Lots of well grounded science things. Star Trek or something similar would be in the middle; some use of science, but ignores it on some aspects. Something like star wars is very soft science fiction. Science terms arn't used at all, it becomes little more than fantasy involving space and robots.