Why does light move slower in a medium?

Vis Viva

Ok, the way I get it is this:

One can work out Maxwell's equations in conductive or nonconductive media, and find a slower characteristic wave speed for electromagnetic waves, than the value for this speed in vacuum.

I'm having trouble however to see past these equations; how does this work on a subatomic scale? What does this picture look like? Is there constant absorbtion/reemission going on, slowing down the passage of the photon, or does the photon interfere somehow with the electrons wizzing around in the medium, or...?

Any advise is welcome. (First time poster, please be gentle :) )

You have to be careful trying to apply equations that govern classical physics to the (sub)atomic scale. So indeed, Maxwel's equations won't be able to explain what is going on inside a material at the quantum scale.

The correct langauge to use is that of quantum mechanics.

Light is slowed down in a medium, because it interacts with the electrons in the medium, so that the effects of this interaction shorten the mean free path and so the photon will on averege travel slower in the medium.

I am sure you can find out more by using google.

Can a free electron interact with and absorb some of the energy and momentum of a photon?

It can scatter a photon and get some energy and momentum, but it can't just absorb the photon — you couldn't conserve energy and momentum, which is a standard relativity exercise to work out.

At some point, though, you might invoke Heisenberg to tell you how long the scattering might be able to delay the photon. Compton scattering always changes the photon direction, but this is not what is being described here. (I'm sure of one were to discuss what happens in a plasma there would have to be interactions with electrons)

It can scatter a photon and get some energy and momentum, but it can't just absorb the photon — you couldn't conserve energy and momentum, which is a standard relativity exercise to work out.

At some point, though, you might invoke Heisenberg to tell you how long the scattering might be able to delay the photon. Compton scattering always changes the photon direction, but this is not what is being described here. (I'm sure of one were to discuss what happens in a plasma there would have to be interactions with electrons)

Thanks. I assume these two (that I bolded above) are related. Interesting.

IIRC, the process of absorption and re-emission takes a little time.

You say photons are being absorbed and reemitted. Does'nt this affect their general direction? That can't be inside plain glass for example...

You say photons are being absorbed and reemitted. Does'nt this affect their general direction? That can't be inside plain glass for example...

The absorption and re-emission by virtual states still has to obey conservation of energy and momentum when all is said and done. The light changes direction at an interface whaere the index changes, but not in the bulk material.

I recommend that you read "QED, The Strange Theory of Light and Matter" by Richard P. Feynman. This lecture was written by Feynman to explain difficult concepts to the general public. It's a very enjoyable read from a Nobel laureate. You can read through in a few hours.

By the way Feynman goes out of his way in the book to explain that physics and physicists are in the business of studying and understanding “how” things behave not “why” they behave that way. I know it’s a bit of a nit, but science is easier to except and understand when you give up on the notion that there is cognitive reason behind it.

By the way Feynman goes out of his way in the book to explain that physics and physicists are in the business of studying and understanding “how” things behave not “why” they behave that way. I know it’s a bit of a nit, but science is easier to except and understand when you give up on the notion that there is cognitive reason behind it.

The homonym substitution (should be accept vs except) aside, this is something that needs to be stressed more, especially to posters that show up with philosophical objections to scientific theories, or purely metaphysical underpinnings to their own ponderings. Not a nit in my view.