Metal attracted to only electric magnets?

markcards

i was wondering if there was a type of metal that could be a 1mm cube inside of a 2cm cube and be able to have an visible effect on the big cube when it is on top of an electric magnet. The metal should not be attracted to regular magnets, atleast not enough where a person could feel a regular magnet attract to the 1mm cube inside the 2cm cube. any help or ideas?

but what i was asking was for a metal of this size that would not stick to another magnet of less power if there was a 1mm space or object in between them, but it would if there was a very powerful magnet. what i am basically looking for is a metal that is not too atracted to magnetic fields?

but what i was asking was for a metal of this size that would not stick to another magnet of less power if there was a 1mm space or object in between them, but it would if there was a very powerful magnet. what i am basically looking for is a metal that is not too atracted to magnetic fields?

I don’t know the answer to your question save that magnetic behavior can also be short term in a material following a reaction, and not only this but at nasa they have produced magnetic fields strong enough that anything they put in it becomes magnetic, from apples to plastic beads.

I don’t know the answer to your question save that magnetic behavior can also be short term in a material following a reaction, and not only this but at nasa they have produced magnetic fields strong enough that anything they put in it becomes magnetic, from apples to plastic beads.

When one makes claims of this nature, it is useful to back it up with a citation or link.

i was wondering if there was a type of metal that could be a 1mm cube inside of a 2cm cube and be able to have an visible effect on the big cube when it is on top of an electric magnet. The metal should not be attracted to regular magnets, atleast not enough where a person could feel a regular magnet attract to the 1mm cube inside the 2cm cube. any help or ideas?

Hehe, trying to fix a game of dice, are we? :-D

When one makes claims of this nature, it is useful to back it up with a citation or link.

Sorry about that. I don’t have links in my mind to everything I have ever watched or studied. The nasa link was just a video, nova or some kind of educational program like that. The made a magnetic field, and then would put materials into it, ranging from plastic beads to an apple, and well the magnetism would exist in those objects. The other idea I brought forward is from this link, which I read I think around three or four months ago. I am course cannot independently verify such past words on any particular site. I attempted to find a link on the web to the nasa project, but I could not find anything, which I pretty much blame on my vocabulary.

"In 2004, it was reported that a certain allotrope of carbon, carbon nanofoam, exhibited ferromagnetism. The effect dissipates after a few hours at room temperature, but lasts longer at low temperatures. The material is also a semiconductor. It is thought that other similarly-formed materials, such as isoelectronic compounds of boron and nitrogen, may also be ferromagnetic. The alloy ZnZr2 is also ferromagnetic below 28.5 K."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferromagnetic

Here's an idea:

put a piece of metal in a dice on one side. Create and/or buy an electro-magnet [both waysare very easy] that can be held in the hand. Now when you roll the dice try to keep it centered in the magnet held under the table and it should always land on the right side.

what about a current loop?

get a really powerful ac electromagnet built into the table

you could stop it from landing on two sides with just one loop. two loops would fix the dice to land on one axis

a zener diode in the loop along with a wave shape in the magnetic oscillations could fix the dice onto one face.

(keep metal out of the room)

sounds risky

If you are trying to fool people with this the problem as I see it is none of the action will look normal really.

As for any ideas I have, cant you use the earths magnetic field, somewhat similar to a compass perhaps? I don’t know if it will get you want you want on every roll, but perhaps simply increase the chances of getting a role you would like.

sounds risky

...yeah, when i wrote that, i think went a bit over the scale you'd be gambling under..

the earth's magnetic feild is too weak to have much effect on a dice but perhaps you could load a dice with a weight and a sprung time delay.

some sort of simple timer or something to return the centre of mass to the centre of the dice before the opponent picks the dice up.

Dearlord!

Thats brilliant Man!

M.C. what you need is a delay mechanism. put a magnet in the center of the dice. Now attach that magnet to a delay mechanism. Now the player will hold a magnet in his hand. when he grabs the dice from the opponet the two magnet will attract each other secretely. Now the delay mechinism will ick in which will 3 or 5 seconds to role the dice. If you do this the biggest problem would be the delay mechanism.

a chunk of iron in the centre of the dice suspended by a few films of latex immersed in.. some low density viscous fluid.

(i'll leave it up to the chemists here to recommend something)

magnet in the high roller's hand placed against the down side of the dice pulls on iron and gives you some time to make a fortune.

other players simply roll a (semi)standard die.

nothing stops the iron from sinking a little but the person with the magnet gets a substantial advantage depending on the strength of the magnet.

you could also swing the dice violently to fix the landing position.