Long Time No Menstrual Cycle

I am a 21 year old female. The last time I had a cycle was back in September of 2003. Before then, my cycle was normal now it is like I'm 10 years old or something because my period is no where in sight. i have taken 2 pregnancy tests and they both came up negative. WHY haven't I had my period. what is wrong with my body. Any help???

stress, dietary changes (dramatic), over excersize, chem exposure?

there could be many contributing factors to the symptoms you stated it could be any one of them or a combo, those were just a few.

It would be prudent to seek medical advice however, even if it`s only just to put your mind at rest :)

Go see a doctor - if you haven't changed your diet or your exercise and you're not under unusual stress levels, then it might be a sign of a thyroid problem, or something like polycystic ovarian syndrome, which seems to be awfully common these days.

Cookie

You have secondary amenorrea. This is a condition where women who used to menstruate normally, stop for more than three months (primary amenorrea is where women of repproductive age have never had a mentrual cycle).

As to the cause, that could be any number of things. Often the cause is hypothalamic and related to changes in the release of cyclic hormones. However, causative (aetiological) factors are many. For example, certain medications, particuarly mood stabilizers, e.g. clozaril, phenothiazines and some narcotics can cause amenorrea. Also, sudden and significant weight gain or loss can interfere with the menstrual cycle. Anorexia nervosa is usually acompanied by amenorrea. Cushing's disease (over active adrenal glands) and hypothyriodism can both cause amenorrea, as can oestrogen defficiency and exessive levels of androgens.

However, don't get too worried as without an examination, there is no way of knowing whether any of the above applie to you. In any event, 'online' is not really the place to make diagnoses, and I don't think anyone here (including myself) is qualified to do so.

The best advice is to see your doctor. S/he should be able to pinpoint the cause quite quickly and in most cases these conditions respond to treatment quite well.

I can't answer that. The only thing it can be said that you "really do have" is secondary amenorrea (the absense of menstration for > 3 months). The point is, amenorrea is usually a symptom, not a condition in itself. Your weight gain may be a factor in amenorrea, but then the weight gain may also be a symptom of something else. For example, something like hypothyriodism may be responsible for both the weight gain and the amenorrea.

I am not a physician, and and I said, 'online' is not the place to make medical diagnoses even if I were qualified to do so.

Your best option is to see your doctor. They will be able to answer more accurately any questions you have and should be able to provide an effective treatment (if necessary). For example, if the underlying cause is hypothyroidism, then they may prescribe thyroxin, which should stabilise things for you.

• 1 month later...

Get to your Doc now. Don't piss about with questions on a science forum. I'm amazed you haven't consulted a medic before now. I haven't been paying full attention to the boards before now or I would have replied. I'm sure you are fine but this is no place to seek medical advive.

OK....my apologies to Rockstarjaiden for being blunt....but that's pretty much me....and pretty much what I'd say to my teenage daughter....best to get it investigated and put your mind at rest. Which is what I'm sure the doctor will do.

I agree with Daisy too. It's just that; 1) one of the most significant factors in avoiding medical consultation is anxiety. Increased anxiety = less probabilty of presenting. 2) Strident tones of urgency (tend to) = increased anxiety (and 'online' there is no way of evaluating the effects of what we say).

i really appreciate ya'lls concern :)

I'm glad. But did you go to see your doctor?