Lap top, Desk top

velo

well, if you need raw processing power at a reasonable price with room for expandability a desktop is a much better choice than a laptop.

gaming is another reason, you try finding a laptop under a £2000 that can run halflife at decent settings. i've got a desktop that i made for under £800 that can do it.

Laptops are for when you're on the move, nothing more.

laptops are harder to upgrade, and more expensive spec-for-spec than desktops.

also:

no. people i know who have spilt liquids onto their laptop's MOBO, killing it: several

no. people i know who have done the same to their desktop: 0

well, if you need raw processing power at a reasonable price with room for expandability a desktop is a much better choice than a laptop.

gaming is another reason, you try finding a laptop under a £2000 that can run halflife at decent settings. i've got a desktop that i made for under £800 that can do it.

Laptops are for when you're on the move, nothing more.

I did mean for (work) I would have thought the novelty of playing

games on a puter had died off by now, surly the time is better spent

with a game of footie or cricket.

I did mean for (work) I would have thought the novelty of playing

games on a puter had died off by now, surly the time is better spent

with a game of footie or cricket.

Pong is far superior to your pathetic, analog tennis.

ha! shows how much YOU Know!

I upgraded last year and mine is Electronic Now! so Ner Ner :P

although sourcing out replacement vacuum tubes is a little slow:rolleyes:

You acctually mean you dont use jell packs????????

I used to do all my work on a desk top, but now i think the DT is obsolete,

why be tied to a desk?

Laptops are great if you travel except I can't stand the touchpads (too much time lost). I keep meaning to pop down and get a bluetooth mouse. Laptops will be using cellular networks more and more too, so you won't have to keep a map of wi-fi friendly coffee shops and libraries.

I'll be outside on the back porch this summer making money with my cordless VOIP phone and my laptop while soaking up some rays. Sometimes the portability makes it tough to step away from the computer and realize the house needs a good clean or the body needs more exercise. Laptops make it easy to be a comp potato.

Nothing beats a desktop computer for thrifty power computing though. The only thing that will make them obsolete for me is when the whole house is one big computer and I can access my files and programs from anywhere. Try to steal my comp then!

Laptops are great if you travel except I can't stand the touchpads (too much time lost). I keep meaning to pop down and get a bluetooth mouse. Laptops will be using cellular networks more and more too, so you won't have to keep a map of wi-fi friendly coffee shops and libraries.

I'll be outside on the back porch this summer making money with my cordless VOIP phone and my laptop while soaking up some rays. Sometimes the portability makes it tough to step away from the computer and realize the house needs a good clean or the body needs more exercise. Laptops make it easy to be a comp potato.

Nothing beats a desktop computer for thrifty power computing though. The only thing that will make them obsolete for me is when the whole house is one big computer and I can access my files and programs from anywhere. Try to steal my comp then!

Hey, come on now, you will soon be able to wear your puter, or not in the far future have it implanted in your brain (shudder), the only prob is where to

put the scanner printer.

the only prob is where to

put the scanner printer

between the cheeks of course. :P ' so johnson, where did you get this report?' 'oh i just pulled it out of my @55'

but seriously, if you run anything computation intensive, say a CFD sim, you are far better off with a DT as they tend to have more power. My DT can fire through one in 1 hour when my laptop running the same one will take about 4. although, most of the time i run them on the uni's cluster and it takes about 15 minutes.