good ol sludge

Callipygous

my mother had me build this in her back yard:

arborqx0.th.jpg

she liked how it turned out, so now shes having me build her another one on the other side of the yard.

i dug the holes a few weeks ago (the posts were a pain to get)

this is the first hole:

hole1fc5.th.jpg

to see the second one, picture the exact same thing, but 10 feet to the left.

this is the third hole:

hole3tm6.th.jpg

i dont know what to do about that, but im pretty sure i cant cement a post in it.

any ideas on what would cause that, or how to fix it?

(this is my first time using this image hosting site, let me know if there are problems accessing it.)

Much better....

Hrmmm you could try using a garden fork to break up the ground a bit try and get it to drain away, or cyphen if off....

I just guess it's formed a natural pond and then stagnated.... nicely done..

im somewhat hesitant to stick my hand in it. it looks watery, i didnt notice any smell.

it may have gone up a little bit since the last time i looked. it also rained tho : P

sludge was in reference to the green crap floating on the top.

watery, definately no smell, not oily, the stuff on top actually has a bit of a grainy texture.

looks like a shrunken version of my neighbours pond. without the fish as well i hope. if it rises on its own then there is something fishy going on, if it only rises with rain then its just poor drainage in the soil at that part of the garden.

the 'green crap' is pond scum.

Concrete will go off under water. It's a chemical process, not 'drying'. Put together a fairly dry mix. Bail out the hole. Put in you post and pack down the concrete. Stake the post and leave it overnight. It'll go off ok.

Does your neighbor have a sprinkler system? He may have a leak somewhere.

Concrete will go off under water. It's a chemical process, not 'drying'. Put together a fairly dry mix. Bail out the hole. Put in you post and pack down the concrete. Stake the post and leave it overnight. It'll go off ok.
I was referring to having the hole dry. Sure concrete will set up in water but you don't want a post in a hole that keeps filling up with it. I'd want it dry before I committed to building anything with that as a foundation.

Perhaps you have an impervious layer of clay under part of the yard. That could affect localised drainage characteristics. I think you might need to extend the hole a bit. If you widen it, you might be able to tell if the water is coming from a particular direction, or just seeping up like a water table. If you deepen it, you might find out why it's not draining as the other hole is.

the entire valley i live in is a big clay bowl. drainage is always an issue.

the neighbor doesnt have a pond, and everyone here is on sewer. he does have a pool, but i dont think thats the issue. he recently put in a new lawn right around where the problem is. he says hell turn down his sprinklers because were guessing hes just overwatering.

well see how that turns out.