culture and science

blike

Over the past year I've noticed something regarding views of science from various professors at my school.

It seems as if professors in the liberal arts and humanistic departments of school tend to view science as something that is dictated by culture. Seems like they feel that science is directed by culture.

However, over in the science department, we're taught that science is above culture. Science is a "way of thinking", that is not bound by or limited to ones culture.

How do you guys see it?

I would suggest that the only way in which a culture directs science is by imposing short-term requirements, such as enhanced purity of drinking water or ideological defence (IE - war).

Over long periods of time the relationship between a civilisation's technology and cultural environment is tenuous at worst, and subtle at best. Survivable civilisations, that is...

It seems to me culture in the past sometimes encouraged science and respected the discoveries, but those were times of freedom of religion and tolerance to a degree. Times of cultures with restrictive religion were the worst times for scientific growth.

I'd say cultures with religious tolerance are the key to scientific advancement.

Just aman

It is unfortunatly true though.....science...is dipicted by culture...follow me for a sec....

espierence is where culture comes from....and if life experiance is where we get our idea of good and bad....and perceptions....then it isn't that hard to believe that it is also where we pull from when it comes to logic.....Science is nothing more than the study of how something works........and, in my belief, perception influences outcome.....therefor....culture does play a role in science.....however unfortunate that is....it is true....