Thermite pan

Gilded

1kg of Fe2O3:Al thermite, in an approximately 75:25 ratio in a steel pan, done on 31st of December. In this case, accompanied by a cheerful song known as DragonForce - Through the Fire and Flames.

Btw has anyone tried mixing barium nitrate with thermite to make "thermate"? I might try it if I ever get my hands on some Ba(NO3)2.

Very nice, great choice of music aswell Dragonforce are awesome!

Could you expand on the 'thermate', I have a fair amount of slightly impure barium nitrate from barium carbonate that I'm willing to experiment with.

I've also been experimenting with copper thermites recently with varying success. As expected most are not as impressive as Fe2O3/Al with the exception of CuO/Al and CuO/Zn which burn unexpectedly fast.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm apparently many conspiracy theorists believe that thermate was used at WTC... Anyway, basically the only reference to the composition of the mixture itself I've found is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermate

Judging by a few other sources, it seems like it was used quite a lot in WW2 in incendiary grenades so I guess it's rather potent but ignites more easily than plain thermite.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I too would like to know how fine the aluminum must be for it to work well. I'm thinking I might try some CuO +Al. We've got some random copper laying around... And I think some Al too. I'll have to check, But whats the best way of grinding the Al to an acceptable size? Would a ball mill(steel balls) work? or would that just take FOREVER?

Thank you,

-Randy

Anyone?

Anyone have any ideas as to how to make the powder or fillings "easily" at home from steel or copper?

Thanks,

-Randy

Powdered metals, not turnings or filings, are typically made during very high temperature processes in kilns where the vaporized metal deposits out on the walls of the kiln and is scraped off when cooled.

This fact can be found in many texts and informational directories.

This process is darned near impossible to achieve by the home chemist. imp

Ok... I knew that powdered metals where often used but I had no idea how it could be made at home. I figured it would be possible for such a method as turning metal to vapour or gas and "freezing" it in air, however, impossible at home :-( . And I didn't know if you could use filings or not. But thank you for your responds.

-Randy

You can always file it or grind it with a wheel, but you would need an inert atmosphere if you didn't want it to oxidize. Maybe grind it in a box and fill the box with nitrogen (eg by pouring liquid nitrogen on the bottom and letting it evaporate). Huge amount of contamination, but if you're going to burn it anyhow...

Well I was going to make copper thermite. Which I know I need Cu2O or CuO so the inert gas would be unnessary because I was just going to heat it up till it was CuO since I believe thats easier to make(just heat it till it turns black). However, the aluminum I don't know if it would need sheilding gas or not... Steel "sparks" as it is being ground down so I know oxidation is occuring, but with Aluminum, these sparks do not occur. Does this mean it is not being oxidized ?

So are you saying that filings and grindings are acceptable?

Thanks,

-Randy

Aluminum nearly instantly forms an airtight oxide coating. This will at the very least make it much harder to light, and consume some fuel. Filings should work, but will be harder to light than powder and might not burn as good. I've heard of using a strip of magnesium to light thermite.

• 3 weeks later...