Memorable Gigs

Royston

I went to see Dinosaur Jr last week, and had a great time...incredible guitar playing and very, very loud. I was just wondering what really memorable gigs anyone had been to, and if you can, why that particular gig was so exceptional. Was the atmosphere electric, was there nakedness et.c et.c

A few I will never forget are Bjork at the Phoenix festival, David Bowie at Glastonbury, Orbital at the Alexandra Palace and Hyper at the Glade Festival. They all just blew me away, the sound quality, stage presence, and atmosphere at the time was unforgettable...there's so many more I could mention, but these stick out the most for the moment.

I enjoyed the Metallica - And Justice For All show. It was a memorable gig for me anyway, because I didn't realize the Statue of Liberty effigy was supposed to fall down at the end of the show - so, for a moment I thought I was watching a catastrophe. Also, the sound was huge and they were at their peak in song writing and performance.

Another one was W.A.S.P. - yes I was into them (hey it was the 80's, give me a break...) and that was memorable because I smoked the public herb being passed around only to realize a little later that one of those must have been laced. I remember waking up several times throughout the night, very spaced out and uncomfortably screwed up. I got over it...now I wish I could find that stuff again.

This last Tool show was great too. The sound was great and they're such an eccentric and progressive metal band and they hit every note perfect! I was blown away mainly by their musicianship and flawless execution. And you got to love a weirdo front man with a mohawk and cowboy belt buckle singing about california falling into the ocean - learn to swim!!

I think most memorable was probably seeing Radiohead last May. I absolutely love them so I had no regrets in spending three hours on the internet and phone trying to get tickets, then failing that paying triple the price on ebay. It was just a great gig, really good atmosphere and a perfect set list.

Another great gig recently was seeing the Guillemots at my local fopp. It was only advertised about a week before and the venue was this tiny room so there was only about 40 people there. They are absolutely amazing live and the lead singer was walking around the crowd during the set inviting people up to dance/sing on the stage with him etc. It was all a little crazy but so much fun. The thing that made the gig though was that two of my friends were really annoyed that couldn't make it, so after we managed to persuade the band to hold up a sign saying 'we hate..' then there names on a piece of paper which we took a photo of and sent to them. Immature but hilarious at the time, I'll upload it if I find it.

Other memorable gigs were....

Machine Head - I almost went for the novelty of seeing the mosh pitt. Saying this band is heavy is an understament, just aproaching the outskirts of the crowd was enough to put yourself in pain. It was great fun though.

Foo Fighters - I didn't actually think I'd like them much as I did as there one of those bands I overplayed too much and got bored with but they were awesome, and combined with the atmosphere of the weekend at Reading festival, it was definitely one of my favourite gigs.

...and for no reasons other than being amazing bands.. Ronisize, Jehst, Bloc Party, The Pixies, Silverchair, The Orbital and JJ72 were all amazing.

I've seen a few of the bands you mentioned, Foo Fighters were awesome when I saw them play (way back in 1996) 10 years ago :eek: Strangely enough, and you'll probably be baffled by this, but I wanted to see Radiohead play live just after they released Pablo Honey, anyway many years later and they were headlining at Glastonbury, two tunes in, me and my ex got up, said 'well this is dull' and went to see Lamb.

I can't fathom why, they sounded incredible, the stage was incredible et.c but it just didn't gel at the time...Lamb were good though (I believe it was their last live appearance.)

Paranoia, I'm jealous you've seen Metallica, I've actually just been listening to 'One' :)

If anyones interested I'm playing down my local this Saturday :D , it's electronic music though.

I absolutely love Radiohead. All radiohead. Every album and just about every track and I'm jealous of anybody who has seen them live. I cannot freakin' wait until they get in the states again. I WILL see them, one way or another.

Snail, I feel for you. Nothing comes close to old Metallica. And Justice For All was probably their greatest album - maybe tied perhaps with Master of Puppets. I saw both of those shows. The Master of Puppets show was a small venue, since they were still quite underground at that time - no radio play at all - and I stood probably 20 feet away from James Hetfield screaming and growling into the mic while people went apeshit all around me. I've never felt energy like that since.

I also get what you're saying about the "not gelling" thing. OK Computer collected dust in my CD rack because I just wasn't into that sound or mood at the time I bought it. I rediscovered it a couple of years ago and couldn't believe I had let it sit there without fusing it into my life.

Radiohead and Tool will make you a better person. Listen to them and revel in the fact that you are better than everyone else. ;)

I absolutely love Radiohead. All radiohead. Every album and just about every track and I'm jealous of anybody who has seen them live. I cannot freakin' wait until they get in the states again. I WILL see them, one way or another.
Check out http://www.lders.nl/ or
and listen to some of thier new songs, it might keep you entertained till they come to the states. I seriously can't wait till there new album comes out, its not for another year but i'm still ridiculoulsly excited. ..and snail walking out of a radiohead gig is shameful, I think some type of penance is in order.

also this was the guillemots photo I was talking about...

btp07.jpg

• 2 weeks later...