Left-handed thread

Hades

Im left handed. My g/f is also left handed. If we were to procreate, what are the chances of any children being left handed? We can assume that her and i have this 'c' gene they speak of. Even if the child was homozygous for the 'c' gene, im assuming it would still be 50%?

I almost moved this to Engineering when I read the title. :rolleyes:

I remember reading that a pair of left-handed parents had a 1-in-4 chance of having a left-handed offspring. It's not a lock but it's better than the 1-in-10 chance everyone else has.

I don't have the reference handy.

Please correct me if im wrong but if you draw a punnet square with two pairs of the two recessive 'c' genes needed to have a left handed child, then there would be a 100% chance of a left handed child. Thats if there is a 'c' gene.

I cant remember all the rules exactly but thats what I learnt in school.

Note: I am not responsible if your child/children are right handed.

Where is your proof that a gene is responsible for left handedness? I have always thought it was which ever hand you use to reach for something first without putting any thought into which hand you should use. What about ambidextrous people? incomplete dominance of the allele perhaps? I remember hearing a stat and I know this is very suspect as I cannot cite any sources but 40 percent of the populatoin is left handed and roughly 60 percent are right handed. I know it doesn't take into account people that use both hands but I assume they are a very small population.

Maybe, due to typing and the way technology is going we might give up writing with a pen and learn on a keyboard, in which case the entire population could be ambidextrous after a few generations, due to those people that are ambidextrous learning how to type faster and NS will take its course.

For your punnet square to be appropriate for this situation there must be only one gene that controls handedness. Because of ambidextrous people we must assume that it is not that simple. There is also a learned component to it, some people naturally left handed were taught to use their right hands.

People using technology are never going to change their genetic makeup. Mutation would have to occur...and somehow type would have to increase your chances of reproducing :)

Just my $0.02

Nic