Alien Evolution Paths

setting aside the usually omitted fact that i don't believe in evolution (in the degree accepted by science) here begins an endless question:

What ideas do you have of evolution paths of other worlds? What would be the factors to it (different combinations of minerals abundant beside water)? Would they develop Bacteria, protista, how could they be different? Maybe even something as simple as DNA would exist (be developed) in a completely different system, possibly changing the form of life in a way we cannot comprehend. Contemplating the possibilities could be impossibly abstract in comparison to common thought born out of interaction with our own enviroment. Probably an impossible question as it leaves so many possibilities, but i'm interested in some really creative ideas.

Ready, set, be brilliant! . . . . or something . . . .

it is indeed! an open door to wild speculation :)

Ambient temperature would be factor

natural Gravity would also dictate partly the shapes and sizes of such beings

Light is also another factor as would be the atmosphere (you`ve already stated water).

we are in fact beginning to notice the dramatic effects of global warming here on our own planet and that`s only by a few digits rise behind the decimal point of deg C average per annum.

and look at the variety we have here in the way of lifeforms, some will die or be forced to move, the fact that I can now grow plants that 20 years ago would have only lived several degrees of latitude South of here is an indication of the factors involved, and these are only TINY in comparrison as to what COULD be out there on a different world.

it would be impossible to determine what life(aliens) would be like, and any attempt would be pure fiction without knowing the details of the "home planet" and then it would be educated guesses at best :)

• 1 month later...

If we look at different time frames also, we could have life at different paces, maybe even intelligent in a different phase.

At high speed, coral can be seen over history scuttling around to the best warm feeding spots and look like a many celled organism oozing over the surface of the Earth.

If the Earth was alive I think it would call Dr. asteroid belt to send a pill to stop it's terrible skin condition.

Just aman

Unless a planet could sustain life a long time, it's unlikely they would be intelligent.

The problem there is what qualifies as a 'long time'?

In terms of the point where it is commonly theorised that life began, and the present, may be a very small fraction of the actual planets total existence from formation to present.

Seeing as present cosmological theories estimate the age of the earth to 4 billion years old, thats peanuts. And seeing as many planets could have been around longer, that could be smaller peanuts. or even fractions of peanuts. Hell, maybe even not nuts at all.

Cap'n Refsmmat said in post # :

A classic example of the problem of being too humanoid is Star Trek. I mean, not everyone will speak English, and they certainly won't just be a human with a pointy ear. That's just silly.

Unless a planet could sustain life a long time, it's unlikely they would be intelligent.

In Star Trek a heuristic universal translator is used to translate languages. It's not without its problems (see all of Ent season 1, TNG "Darmok").

In TNG "The Chase" it was discovered that most humanoid races were seeded across the galaxy from the DNA of a long-extinct parent race, hence the similarities in overall form.

Are you are religious man demosthenes? cause that's a pretty crackpot idea, sorry to be so direct, but in evolutionary terms thats a pretty ridiculous idea. We're talking about alien evolution paths. On our planet it started with bacteria, maybe thats not the only possible form of life, in which case the divergence of similiarity to earth organisms would be immense. Intelligence could be reached in an entirely different form. You'd really have to free your mind to imagine what might arise.

Sayonara³ said in post # :

In Star Trek a heuristic universal translator is used to translate languages. It's not without its problems (see all of Ent season 1, TNG "Darmok").

In TNG "The Chase" it was discovered that most humanoid races were seeded across the galaxy from the DNA of a long-extinct parent race, hence the similarities in overall form.

So there.

Those were also two of the coolest episodes, totally sidestepping two of the greatest flaws generated by the initial series.

I mean, it was supposed to be like that.

• 4 weeks later...

Quite good, looking at the latest findings of Neanderthal man. The Neanderthal looks to have not been in our genetic ancestry at all now; the Homo erectus was positioned in Africa and came up to the north where the Neanderthal man was based. Evidence showed both living at the same time, and therefore Neanderthal was a parallel evolution (that failed).

Science is based on the ability to replicate experiments and arrive at the same results each time.

Given the same components and the same external forces, the same result should be arrived at.

We have an idea of a pathway from goo to man in our enviroment and the pathway should be just as valid anywhere else in the universe. We also have possible examples of parallel evolution in the fossil records.

I'm inclined towards believing we will find lots of separate humanoid developments in the history of our universe.

Just aman

Im inclined to disagree with you there, but then again how far does your "definition" of humanoid goes, just bipedal carbon based life forms? or beyond

I would say intelligent life could exist in quite a few forms though, but manipulating their enviroment is key

-Demosthenes- said in post # :

Maybe I've said this before, but maybe the form of humanoid is the only form that can evolve intelligence? This is somewhat related to my two hands theory.

You can't unilaterally rule out intelligent, non-humanoid life based on the wild assumptions you call a theory.

Unless of course you demonstrate it on an interstellar scale, and others can repeat your results.

There are a number of possibilities in scale I guess. Star Trek has a limited budget, and it has to make a story each week, but it is not the humanoid appearance that is so far out, but the height of the people. I can see anything from microscopic intelligence, up to huge giants. Also, water based intelligence like Dolphins, maybe dolphins are more intelligent than we believe.

Pincho.