Genetic Engineering?

JTM³

Is it possible we will ever come to a point where we can not only decode the genome of other species rapidly, but learn how to program in the language of DNA?

Is it possible we will learn how to use DNA sequences to create our own species, their own genome, cellular structure, and organs upward?:confused:

Possible but only the far far future. Getting sequences is comparatively easy now. The identification of genes from this sequences is still rather tricky (especially for eukaryotes). Assigning functions to these genes extremely complicated. Even in well known, very basic bacteria like E. coli the amount of genes coding proteins of unknown function is around 20-40% at least. Then we do have intergenic regions which apparently do have a function (e.g. in regulation) but is nigh impossible to detect them as we know very little about it. Then of course there is the problem that not everything is determined genetically. That is, you also have to consider at the very least the cellular environment and then it gets really complicated...

Is it possible we will ever come to a point where we can not only decode the genome of other species rapidly' date=' but learn how to program in the language of DNA?

Is it possible we will learn how to use DNA sequences to create our own species, their own genome, cellular structure, and organs upward?:confused:[/quote']

1. Researchers at MIT are already programing computers with DNA. See MIT Technology Review Magazine.

2. Scientist have been "programing" with DNA almost since its discovery. We insert DNA sequences into bacteria, fruit-flies, rodents, to investigate gene function..a form of "programing" if you must use that word.

3. We already use DNA to create our own species. Its a common occurance in the lab. Scientist are always introducing pieces of DNA that confer antibotic resistance to certain Bacteria (technically its a new species, it can survive where other's can't).

4. We may not be able to "create" a genome, but we can sure modify it and have such modification be transmitted in the germline! See how to make a knock-out mouse by homologous recombination (A. Joyner, PhD).

5. Cell structure..sure we can! If I introduce a piece of cDNA encoding a Dominant Negative Microtubule Associated Protein into a cell, I can totally muck up cell structure (and I have).

6. We may not be able to create organs, but we can sure modify them in the laboratory setting. Using homologous recombination approaches scientist can introduce pieces of DNA whose expression are controlled by promoters that confer organ selective expression.

These may not be what you're looking for, perhaps you're asking if we can ever grow a heart in a test tube! The answer is not right now. We can grow heart cells that contract autonomously in petri dishes, but not the full heart.

I think, maybe not in my life time, but eventually, I think its foreseeable.

Hope this helps.

3. We already use DNA to create our own species. Its a common occurance in the lab. Scientist are always introducing pieces of DNA that confer antibotic resistance to certain Bacteria (technically its a new species, it can survive where other's can't).

Sorry, no. Technically it is a new strain, but same species (DNA : DNA hybridization is clearly above the threshhold).

This may seem like nitpicking but this time no technology exist to curate the genome up to a point that allows creation of a new species.

Well, technically there is a way (for bacteria) but it would simply involve taking a genome with large accessory genetic elements and cure them all. But my point is that atm we can only manipulate existing cells (to quite some extent, though), but we lack the ability of creating something completly de novo (as I assumed this thread was about), nor will this be possible by purely concentrating on DNA.

Sorry' date=' no. Technically it is a new strain, but same species (DNA:DNA hybridizationis clearly above the threshhold).

This may seem like nitpicking but this time no technology exist to curate the genome up to a point that allows creation of a new species.

Well, technically there is a way (for bacteria) but it would simply involve taking a genome with large accessory genetic elements and cure them all. But my point is that atm we can only manipulate existing cells (to quite some extent, though), but we lack the ability of creating something completly de novo (as I assumed this thread was about), nor will this be possible by purely concentrating on DNA.[/quote']

Well, yeah its a bit nitpicky and I tried to keep my response in tune with what we can and already do in the laboratory. And yes, we can't create a new organism de novo yet! I think alot of people think that the DNA molecule is the start all and end without considering the need for appropriate environment and associated/non associated "functional" regulartory proteins. We can modify the DNA all we want, but nothing will happen unless its in the right place at the right time in the right configuration, either intrinsic or extrinsic to the genome.

Well, yeah its a bit nitpicky and I tried to keep my response in tune with what we can and already do in the laboratory. And yes, we can't create a new organism de novo yet! I think alot of people think that the DNA molecule is the start all and end without considering the need for appropriate environment and associated/non associated "functional" regulartory proteins. We can modify the DNA all we want, but nothing will happen unless its in the right place at the right time in the right configuration, either intrinsic or extrinsic to the genome.

Hey, I'm not the microbiologist.

That's what this forum is for :D