Careers Forum

This is a pretty wide ranging site but I can't help but notice there isn't really a general section for careers discussion. I know careers can be discussed in certain specific topic sections but I thought it would be handy if there was a general area for careers type chat and queries. What does anyone else think?

I do actually quite like this idea. I'm not entirely sure that it would be used a lot, however, in the coming weeks it's certainly something that needs to be looked at, since there's often a lot of questions about what a particular job entails or what people should be applying to do at college.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

I like the idea, too. How about making use if WiSci and create a page /set of pages, there and link from a sticky here. Doing it in the form of a normal thread seems a bit chaotic to me, if everyone writes "...and you can also do thisandthat..." posts without any particular order. Specific questions can still be handeled here (which is a better for of comunication for a conversation).

I like the idea, too. How about making use if WiSci and create a page /set of pages, there and link from a sticky here. Doing it in the form of a normal thread seems a bit chaotic to me, if everyone writes "...and you can also do thisandthat..." posts without any particular order. Specific questions can still be handeled here (which is a better for of comunication for a conversation).

Huh? I'm confused. :confused:

I like the idea in the OP, also.

What's WiSci and how could I make use of it Atheist?

I think turning the education into an Education and Careers section would work though. After all many careers rely on a certain educational background.

What's WiSci and how could I make use of it Atheist?

WiSci is a wiki - similar to wikipedia. The advantage in posting "if you decide to study xyz you can later become an abc" there I see is that you have the possibility to keep the list sorted.

i think there is a market, eventually "some" of the younger science-wannabes are going to actually start thinking/looking for career opporunties or ideas that can help them obtain their goals.

There are some scientist on the board who have had experience searching/interviewing/obtaining science-based careers both in academia and out-side of academia, and i'm sure they are willing to give tips, pointers based on their own experiences.

Scientist always have thier careers in the back of their mind, so I definately think its something people will want to discuss.

So it would be more of a question/answer type of arrangement, Atheist?

Personally I kind of like the idea of chat/discussion about things. Especially as I think career issues cover far more than "how I do to become an engineer/lab scientist etc". like at the moment I'd quite like to start a thread to get an idea of how many women are working in a scientific environment which I don't think fits particularly well with any of the areas on here at the moment.