Intel

deep

I read in Newsweek a few months back that it tested a 10Ghz processor chip and it was successful. To me, I don't think AMD will be able to compete with Intel for much longer.

What does everyone think?

Here's a preview of AMDs new offerings and Intels 2.8GHZ chip.http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=4967

There are other publications with a little different info since they are keeping it hush-hush and I can get them if you'd like to see.

Just aman

Does this 10 GHz processor use 32-bit x86 architecture? Also, how many stages is this processor's pipeline? Sure, a chip can run at a huge frequency, but if the pipeline is too large, then this "superchip" will be inefficient, just as the Pentium IV is now.

• 2 months later...

I know exactly what he's talking about, I think the 10Ghz chip was called Norman. If it was Norman he was referring to, yes it is 10GHz, but they are working on a cooling system for it. The first prototype of the chip began to almost glow red, and crashed.

We used to get prototype samples from AMD back in the late '80s.

I stuck monster heat sinks on the chips and found what they promised still was a long ways off. Some of the first 32 bit chips were a real mess. I imagine it is a lot worse now. I still remember burning the crap out of one of my fingers when I touched a heat sink. God, those things ate power then. And it took an extra six months after their promise before we had chips we could use. Back in the dark ages at Rockwell.

Just aman

the chip is called the Intel Itanium2 w\ Titanium core, as the intel I2 chips all have titaniums cores. It's a 64-Bit architecture, with an internal catch that is about 3 gigs, but they came into issues with the motherboard design. I also believe it had a 3.5~4.0GHz frontside bus speed. Which isn't known to the public yet, nor available.

Intel plans to use this as a marketting strategy, claiming a huge jump ahead of AMD, which will take them years to catch up. Also, like stated before, the chip is unstable, so Intel has no idea on when it can be ran on stable conditions.

:worship:

• 3 months later...

Even though there is a tremendous difference in speed of front side bus, and data transfer bandwidth, The average orienated or intermediate user will notice no difference in peformace, between rambus and ddr sdram

• 1 year later...