Please increase signature size

I was trying to add a simple quote to my sig, and to keep one other quote but it was more than 250 characters total. Could we possibly get a small bump in sig size, say to 400 characters? I dont think this would be a huge deal and most would probobly not even use it. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you! :)

this has been brought up before' date=' I believe. Though I think the size issue was 100 last time, increased to 250.

Is this right or am I making up history here?[/quote']

Well... I wanted to add the following quote:

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."--Stephen F. Roberts

and still keep the one I quoted you on :P But it's more than 250 and I refuse to take the ecoli quote out, possibly one of the single greatest quotes in modern history. :-(

Who reads signatures, anyways? Avatars are fine, you can realize who´s writing much faster than if you had to read the username (optimizing on a sub-second scale - now, am I lazy or am I damn lazy?). But signatures? For me they are just like adverts: "Information", but not the one why I am reading the thread / visiting the site. And usually completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

I don't like signatures much. It's like putting up a billboard that stays up for months. After a while, who reads it? I don't mind the one-liners that get changed pretty often. They are at least interesting.

What if I were to post the exact same thing at the end of each post, wouldn't someone eventually accuse me of being redundant and off-topic? Plus, some of the lengthy ones, with "originally posted by" quotes really make the forum hard to read.

Thanks. Since it's not important to you, you can't give a little to me. Wow I feel special. :(
If we bump it up for you, there are those that would abuse it. Some people already have two links, three titles, a list of accomplishments and a couple of quotes from various dead people. Most of their posts are smaller than their sigs.

We feel that signatures can be visually disrupting to threads (I'm tempted to set my controls so I do not see them, actually) and they really aren't necessary.

Though I'd feel better about it if there was a physical size limit, not a character limit.

It`s a Privilage NOT a right to have one at all.

and you`re quite right, no it ISN`T important to us or Anyone that`s here to read posts and has to wade through loads of crap to get to the (Sometimes) Good Bits.

Although I make use of sigs in all the forums I participate in to promote my sites, I agree with others. The length of the sig allowance here is just fine. I've seen forums that don't reign in sigs and they can get very out of control. A sig requirement of 250 characters forces people to prioritize what they put in their sigs and helps keep some sanity in forums.

Jesus F'in Christ. All I friggin wanted in my sig was:

START SIG:

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."--Stephen F. Roberts

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." - ecoli

END SIG

I'm sorry it would take you over 30 minutes to scroll by that. I mean how much bigger than 250 characters could that be? You know what, never mind. Forget about the whole thing. I mean god forbid we should have to take .05 seconds longer to scroll by someones posts. Hell, in fact I would be willing to bet that you have wasted more time reading this thread then you would have spent in your entire life scrolling by the extra 150 characters I was requesting for every post I have done past, present and future. :rolleyes:

It's a friggin' signature! Some people like to read posts rather than signatures. Long signatures are an irritation and contanstly re-reading them when one's trying to read a conversation sucks.

Sometimes in life you'll get arbitary restrictions, deal with it.

Anyways, I propose that the signature length be brought back to 150 characters, just to show The Peon how not to take things for granted.

It's a friggin' signature! Some people like to read posts rather than signatures. Long signatures are an irritation and contanstly re-reading them when one's trying to read a conversation sucks.

Sometimes in life you'll get arbitary restrictions' date=' deal with it.

Anyways, I propose that the signature length be brought back to 150 characters, just to show The Peon how not to take things for granted.[/quote']

Ill tell you what you jerk, ill remove my signature completely to appease you. What the **** is wrong with half you people? No wonder I didnt come back to these forums for over a month. Now I remember why, being irritated by shmucks like you. Goddamn it I hate the internet, full of bullshit talk that would not occur in person. And if you think I am the one being an ass here, reread my original post, then my first two replies, until finally after being treated like I was some sort of criminal I got to this point. I'm done. PEON OUT.

Let me get this clear:

The reason the signature limit exists is that signatures are visually disruptive to threads. I've completely disabled signatures on another forum I visit and I must say, it's actually quite nice. I will, however, admit that a character limit is rather stupid - a physical size limit should be imposed instead (but that would take more work).

Apart from that, one more outburst like that could get you in trouble. the tree wasn't being nice, but that's no reason for you to explode.

Why don't just say "no", instead of arguing? Seemed to me like a harmless question.

Make up your priorities. Why are you here?

Signatures should either be for your name or something that's important to you that you want others to know. Remember, you can always link to an external site like your blog or something.

Let me get this clear:

The reason the signature limit exists is that signatures are visually disruptive to threads. I've completely disabled signatures on another forum I visit and I must say' date=' it's actually quite nice. I will, however, admit that a character limit is rather stupid - a physical size limit should be imposed instead (but that would take more work).

Apart from that, one more outburst like that could get you in trouble. the tree wasn't being nice, but that's no reason for you to explode.[/quote']

Don't worry, no need for me to get in trouble. I am done with this bull shit. This was one of the few spaces in the internet I actually spent time other than using my connection for gaming. I consider message boards and forums a cess pool of inconsideration and inept behavior like trees, and I've noticed that since '97 when AOL was the only way to access the 'net.

Gee, I thought back in the summer of '05, what better way to actually use this thing to communicate (if at all) than a forum for scientists and nerds. I mean, wouldn't they be cordial and have some manners and respect and debate things in a logical unemotional manner? Perhaps I could actually be accommodated with my handicaps, which I refused to reveal until now since I no longer give a damn.

Right, well excuse my presence in your illustrious invisible space on the information superhighway. Excuse my bi-polarism and outbursts. I have done nothing but try to contribute to these forums, and I make a simple request and instead of simply getting a PM from a mod denying it or a cordial reply, I get a bunch of HORSE dung. And with that, I now will turn my internet use back to what I got it for in the first place, to play games in my spare time. Adios. BTW, I will leave my signature space blank so if you ever come across an old post of mine you dont have to strain your eyes with it, since my old sig and my proposed sig were MASSIVE.

Why don't just say "no", instead of arguing? Seemed to me like a harmless question.

Speaking for me I thought it was a harmless answer. I made my point clear that I don´t particularly like signatures. Why we are arguing? Because it´s possible that someone convinces the admins to increase the signature size. Be it for some fundamental reason or simply because a majority of people wants that. Within this scenario, I think it´s only fair to state that I don´t want it.

Signatures should either be for your name ...

-> Username, user profile

... or something that's important to you that you want others to know.

This is exactly the reason why I compared signatures to adverts.

Remember, you can always link to an external site like your blog or something.

-> user profile

Jesus F'in Christ. All I friggin wanted in my sig was:

Then just alternate between the two quotes switching one out for the other every few weeks or so. I participate in around a half dozen different forums including two I own or am coowner of. All of those forums have some kind of signature limitation of a similar size to SFN's limitation. It isn't really a big deal, nor is it out of the norm.

I don't need threads where members are gettng so hot under the collar that they sink to the level of swearing and calling other members jerks. I can't believe we defended The Peon earlier this year to the point of banning others for flaming him and then he goes and flames others.

End of thread.