Illegal to Laugh at Staff---Yes or No?

Martin

What is on my mind is a hypothetical where A does not intend to ATTACK B.

But B has said something (maybe a little stupid) and FEELS attacked.

Then' date=' because it is an axiom that the moderator should not be attacked, he says to himself "A is attacking me" and he feels RIGHTEOUS ANGER, so he hits A in some way.

Comes down heavy on him. so then A gets angry and becomes more biting and it escalates. [/quote']

The very simple rule "don´t post when you´re angry" can help a lot. This could be extended to "don´t hit the 'ban this user and all with a similar name and age'-button when angered" in case of an admin/mod. If you really have a really great and smart reply in mind you can still write it in a text file and post it later - which usually doesn´t happen because once the initial anger is gone you realize how inappropriate that post would be.

Point here: I don´t see this as staff specific either. The basic line "don´t react when you´re angry" would help staff and non-staff the same way.

I remember Severian said something very fair about an ex-poster I won't name. Severian said on one occasion I remember that the guy DIDNT START ATTACKING he only responded when B (the expert or whatever) was sharp with him.

Basically in this instance it wasnt laughter, it was just where A says "you know actually you are wrong about that"

and B is upset by this and FEELS as if attacked, so he replies sharply and then it starts. There is this righteous anger that people get when they think they are not supposed to be challenged or contradicted, and it nevertheless happens.

Perhaps at this point it would be fair to explicitely point out that of course it is possible to report posts by staff members if you feel attacked or to PM an 'independent' admin if you feel you were awarded unjustified warning points.

another worry I have is about EROSION. erosion of the base of smart amusing people who like controversy

(for me a discussion board is not an AGREEMENT MACHINE intended to produce a lot of agreement with the prevailing ideas, but more the opposite---just my personal taste)

You just volunteered to go through the next twenty "I have found a flaw in General Relativity" threads and have a nice discussion with the poster about possible flaws and possibilities of his/her groundbreaking new theory :D.

My sense of humor can be measured in Planck lengths and I will ban anyone who mocks me. I put the rant in tyrant and I'm going to draw moustaches on the Fermi posters Martin hung on the walls of the Staff Lounge for even suggesting this. I also smashed gcol's iconoclast so now he'll have to take the bus to work.

I can confirm that. Phi has absolutely no sence of humour, and if you cross him, he will abuse his moderating powers and make enbarasing changes to your profile.

I can confirm that. Phi has absolutely no sence of humour, and if you cross him, he will[/i'] abuse his moderating powers and make enbarasing changes to your profile.

...and you'd have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for that pesky Phi for All and his ability to spell :P

Kicking anyone that's down is in poor taste, staff or not. Celebrating the fact we are all effectively space mold clinging to some little rock doing crazy and at times foolishly laughable stuff... should all be fair game all round, imo. :)

That´s not Fermi, the guy´s name is Rovelli.
Doesn't Sergio Rovelli already have a moustache?
Just as long as you don't mess up the Captain Refsmmat poster on the wall there as well.
Too late! Better stop shaving, poster boy....
I can confirm that. Phi has absolutely no sence of humour, and if you cross him, he will abuse his moderating powers and make enbarasing changes to your profile.
Hope you got your dragon on floppy, Pinky-Winky! When's your vacation this year? evil:D