How much of a joke is this?

Externet

well, if its true then the whole field of quantum mechanics and a fair bit of chemistry is complete and utter bullcrap. so chances are its a loon seeing as quantum mechanics(or whatever the current theory is) works pretty much how we predict it to.

cold fusion isn't complete junk, it just never proved to be easilly reproducible, and thus most scientists lost interest in it. THe real problem with it is that there was never a basics on up approach taken to the research, and so the research was always focused on a single vague experiment.

• 2 weeks later...

can someone please explain to me the problem with having an electron below the currently accepted ground-state?

i took a look at the math behind it, perhaps i dont fully understand it, but it seems ok at first glance.

cold-ish fusion has been proven using a deutirium gas and a peizo electric spark.

can someone please explain to me the problem with having an electron below the currently accepted ground-state?

i took a look at the math behind it' date=' perhaps i dont fully understand it, but it seems ok at first glance.

[/quote']

Because the ground states is, by definition, the lowest state in an atom. All atoms should drop into this new, lowest state, and should have been there the whole time.

is it possible that there is enough energy in our corner of the universe to keep most atoms above the ground state?

If you look at a two-state system, you can, at most, put half of a sample in an excited state via an interaction with EM radiation. The reason is that the radiation will also stimulate emission into the lower state as well. Population inversions correspond to negative temperatures; you can't get there in an equilibrium condition.

• 2 weeks later...

the main problem i saw in the idea was that he intended to have these atoms plasma hot and at a lower than excited state... at the same time....

i wouldnt have such a big problem with below ground on it's own, but the aparatus he detailed was ludicrously flawed; massive temperatures and unexcited atoms. you cant have a hot atom without it getting excited.

(unless the below-ground-state was utterly stable, in which case we would have detected it by now)