Bone can regenerate?

Here's a weird question i received from my teacher.

He said: "If normal bones broke, it will be permanantly broken, but there's 1 type of bone at our body, if you broke it, it will slow regenerate a new parts for you, which type of bone?:confused:

what a Very odd question!

since all bones that I`m aware of (even the temporal bone) will heal in time, makes the 1`st part of his "Question" somewhat invalid (unless it`s a Dead person), maybe he`s considering Teeth?

Good luck with that one dude! :)

what a Very odd question!

since all bones that I`m aware of (even the temporal bone) will heal in time' date=' makes the 1`st part of his "Question" somewhat invalid (unless it`s a Dead person), maybe he`s considering Teeth?

Good luck with that one dude! :)[/quote']

okok, thx :)

Bone is constantly breaking down and rebuilding. Constantly. That's a bad question. Do you go to a creation science school?

nono, i just wonder if that teacher was from creation science school:D

Long ago, the Nazis did experiments with breaking bones of humans. That was a sure-fire way to figure out that bones do grow back stronger. Dr. Mengele was one of the contributors to this fascinating field of bone research.

Perhaps there are different types of bone that repair due to osteoclasts and osteoblasts, and then there may be parts of bone without these cells. I'm not aware, however, of such a type of bone. There may be some type of bone like that, but I'm not aware.

Long ago, the Nazis did experiments with breaking bones of humans. That was a sure-fire way to figure out that bones do grow back stronger. Dr. Mengele was one of the contributors to this fascinating field of bone research.

That's one way to put it... you could also describe his experiments as horrific war crimes.

Long ago' date=' the Nazis did experiments with breaking bones of humans. That was a sure-fire way to figure out that bones do grow back stronger. Dr. Mengele was one of the contributors to this fascinating field of bone research.

Perhaps there are different types of bone that repair due to osteoclasts and osteoblasts, and then there may be parts of bone without these cells. I'm not aware, however, of such a type of bone. There may be some type of bone like that, but I'm not aware.[/quote']

Ic ic, that won't help much but i really appreciate it, coz 1st time i can get know about Nazis strange experiments.

• 2 weeks later...

although I agree that the question at face value is VERY flawed in English, could it mean that when a bone is broken it heals with Evidence that it was broken?

and so I`d say that a Baby Tooth would be the most likely candidate for a full 100% replacement with no evidence of breakage.

Teeth are made of dentine and enamel, which is different from bone. They don't regenerate, but they do survive fires that bone doesn't.

Bone itself is not a living tissue. It doesn't regenerate in the same way that e.g. skin does (i.e. cell division). Bone is a matrix of calcium and collagen that is inert.

The periosteum is a nighly vascular layer of tissue surrounding bone. When a bone is broken, blood is released around the break (in fact bone healing is an inflammatory process) and within this pool of blood, two types of cell concentrate at the site and are responsible for healing; oteoclasts and osteoblasts.

Osteoclasts are responsible for 'eating' away fragments and cleaning up the rough edges. Basically, they disolve the bone chemically. Osteoblasts lay down the new bone within the matrix formed by the blood clot in the form of a callus which, if you X-ray a newly healing bone, looks like a swollen mass around the break. Once the callus has been laid down, osteoclasts trim it down and smooth it off to more or less the right size and shape.

As for the original post, I have no idea what the teacher could be taliking about. As Silkworm says, bone is constantly being replaced through balanced oteoclast/osteoblast action. Out entire skeleton is replaced something like 7 times throughout our lives.

I think however, that bone fractures heal much much more slowly in the aged.

Sometimes, also, they don't heal completely. Some people when fractured severely carry a characteristic limp afterwards. My father is an example.

Old injuries will also result to aches and pains in old age.

Is it true though that old fractures/surgical wounds ache when it rains? Or when it's about to rain?

Hmm, so what's the deal with bone marrow?

Bone marrow isn't bone. Bone marrow is the soft fatty tissue that can be found inside certain hollow bones (e.g. femur, illiac crest, sternum etc.). It is highly vascular and contains stem cells which differentiate to procuce erythrocytes, white cells and platelets.

so teeth aren`t a type of bone then, neat, I`ve learned something new :)

so I`m guessing here that the Jaw Bone must contain special types of cell that can make the enamel then?

and if we get a new skeleton roughly 7 time in a life, why is it said that Calcium uptake is in the majority from 0 to 17 years of age for a female?

so teeth aren`t a type of bone then' date=' neat, I`ve learned something new :)

so I`m guessing here that the Jaw Bone must contain special types of cell that can make the enamel then?[/quote']Not the jaw bone, but the tooth itself. Underneath the enamel, there is a layer of dentin and under that there is the tooth pulp. Between those two layers (dentin and pulp), there is a layer of cells (odontoblasts) and it is this layer of cells that is responsible for the production of the mineralised layers above it.

and if we get a new skeleton roughly 7 time in a life, why is it said that Calcium uptake is in the majority from 0 to 17 years of age for a female?
It is said because it is true :) However, that is not to say that calcium uptake stops after 17 years. It is just that calcium uptake is greatest during the period of most rapid bone growth. Calcium uptake drops off after 17, but still happens at a level sufficient for the slow turnover required. When it drops off further than that, you get osteoporosis as there is insufficient calcium to replace that being removed.

Excellent! Thnx again :)

so from what I can gather, it`s Not actualy Jaw Bone per se, but what might be considered as almost a "Tooth Seed"?

and it was actualy osteoperosis I was thinking specificaly of when I asked too :)

what actualy happens there? do the clasts outnumber the blasts, or does the uptake mechanism diminish over time or perhaps some other element counters any good effect of "Normal" healing/repair?

and dead on Target, Is there a way to Counter this for someone that has it? more calcium or perhaps some other nutrient/vit that would assist the calcium uptake or help fight the problem that makes it progress etc...

I ask because I know someone with it, and they hear all the time from Well-meaners "you need more Calcium in your diet", and I don`t think it`s anything THAT simple.

Excellent! Thnx again :)

so from what I can gather' date=' it`s Not actualy Jaw Bone per se, but what might be considered as almost a "Tooth Seed"?[/quote']Well put. That's exactly it. Small clumps of speciallised cells in the foetal jaw, yes, they could be considered 'seeds'.

and it was actualy osteoperosis I was thinking specificaly of when I asked too :)

what actualy happens there? do the clasts outnumber the blasts, or does the uptake mechanism diminish over time or perhaps some other element counters any good effect of "Normal" healing/repair?

Well, essentially, after your mid 30s, osteoblast activity slows down. Osteoclasts on the other hand, tends to remain quite active, so in most of us, more bone is being removed than laid down. This is a normal part of getting old, except in cases of osteoporosis where the bone loss process accelerates. It's further confounded if normal bone density wasn't achieved in adolescence.

and dead on Target, Is there a way to Counter this for someone that has it? more calcium or perhaps some other nutrient/vit that would assist the calcium uptake or help fight the problem that makes it progress etc...

I ask because I know someone with it, and they hear all the time from Well-meaners "you need more Calcium in your diet", and I don`t think it`s anything THAT simple.

Yeah. The media harps on about calcium but it's really not as simple as that. Firstly, it's not really the amount of dietary calcium that's important. It's the absorbtion and metabolism of calcium that's important. There needs to be a balance of other nutrients and minerals to allow calcium to be metabolised usefully.

Secondly, think of a building site where you have brickies building walls, and some 'reverse' brickies taking the bricks away again. If these 'reverse; brickies are working harder than the normal brickies, it really doesn't matter how many bricks are available. The result will be that the walls get smaller. The trick is to slow the reverse brickies activity (cut their overtime or something).

In any particular case of osteoporosis, the aetiology is multifactorial and so each case has to be taken on its own merits. Probably the two main factors are inadequate bone mineral formation by the end of childhood and accelerated bone depletion in later life. This suggests that prevention (i.e. ensuring good bone density in childhood and preventing accelerated loss in later life) is simpler than cure in this case.