Afterlife, explain this scenario

Meh

Hi, I'm new as you can tell and I have a question. I will try to word it as good as I can so bear with me. I have been asking myself this for a while now. Oh, this has nothing to do with God.

Let me first start off with a reminder that when you sleep time passes by quicker (you feel that it does). To you it will feel like a moment, no matter how long have you been out, coma....whatever

When you die it's the same deal, only no dreaming after a couple of days, once shit stops completely. So in no way will you know how much time passed.

Now, universe is infinite, and here comes my question, or whatever you call it.

Infinite universe never goes away, and matter cannot be destroyed, must there be some equation or ratio that will guarantee that in who knows how many trillions or infinities of years the exact same combination of atoms, particles that composed you will come together again into a living you? And when that happens it will not appear to you that 900 trillion years to the power of a trillion have gone by, it will seem like a second.

Sorry if these questions don't belong here, so help a n0b out.

Thanks.

I don't really understand what your question is. Also, I think you are assuming too much is terms of the passage of time during sleep and especially with death.

Agreed, if I spent my time watching someone asleep for 6 hours, I can guarantee the time would go very slowly from my perspective.

When you die it's the same deal, only no dreaming after a couple of days, once shit stops completely. So in no way will you know how much time passed.
This is an assumption, albeit a somewhat common one. We have no way of determining if consciousness lives on after the death of the body.
The observable universe is not infinite, it is constantly expanding and limited due to the speed of light.
Infinite universe never goes away, and matter cannot be destroyed, must there be some equation or ratio that will guarantee that in who knows how many trillions or infinities of years the exact same combination of atoms, particles that composed you will come together again into a living you?
The complexity of the 100 trillion cells that make up your particular body would yield an infinitesimal probability of another exact you occurring somewhere else. While it remains infinitesimally possible, it is in no way probable.
And when that happens it will not appear to you that 900 trillion years to the power of a trillion have gone by, it will seem like a second.
This is much longer than current theories place the life of the universe. If gravity acts as a brake on expansion, we may have another 50 billion years before a Big Crunch happens. If expansion is continual, then another 10 trillion years will see all exisitng stars burn out and the universe will go cold and dark.

Hi' date=' I'm new as you can tell and I have a question. I will try to word it as good as I can so bear with me. I have been asking myself this for a while now. Oh, this has nothing to do with God.

Let me first start off with a reminder that when you sleep time passes by quicker (you feel that it does). To you it will feel like a moment, no matter how long have you been out, coma....whatever

Infinite universe never goes away, and matter cannot be destroyed, must there be some equation or ratio that will guarantee that in who knows how many trillions or infinities of years the exact same combination of atoms, particles that composed you will come together again into a living you? And when that happens it will not appear to you that 900 trillion years to the power of a trillion have gone by, it will seem like a second.

Sorry if these questions don't belong here, so help a n0b out.

Thanks.[/quote']

Could there be another you? Why not.

The forces that created the universe out of nothing, and eventually "you", can happen again...and again....and again. Why just limit your scenario to just this universe. When this universe eventually uses up all its fuel and dies.... and it will... Who is to say what happens next, or can't happen.

I can very easily say that our universe today could have been born out of the remnants of an older one. I could also easily say that our universe is just one of many. There are lots of things I could easily say.

So to answer your question and make you feel better, the answer is yes, it could happen again. It won't be the same "you" though, the new "you" will know nothing of the other, but maybe will come to a site like this and ask the very same question.

:)

Welcome to the site...

Bettina

This is an assumption' date=' albeit a somewhat common one. We have no way of determining if consciousness lives on after the death of the body.

The [i']observable[/i] universe is not infinite, it is constantly expanding and limited due to the speed of light.

The complexity of the 100 trillion cells that make up your particular body would yield an infinitesimal probability of another exact you occurring somewhere else. While it remains infinitesimally possible, it is in no way probable.This is much longer than current theories place the life of the universe. If gravity acts as a brake on expansion, we may have another 50 billion years before a Big Crunch happens. If expansion is continual, then another 10 trillion years will see all exisitng stars burn out and the universe will go cold and dark.

Is the universe expanding on a constant rate, or is it slowing down? I would think that it slows down the further it gets away from where the Big Bang occurred. I view it as a regular explosions, like a grenade for example, the fragments of a grenade move the fastest when the grenade explodes, but the frags eventually slow down and stop. I am not saying that the expansion of the universe will stop, but it will get to a point where it barely moves to notice.

Is the universe expanding on a constant rate, or is it slowing down? I would think that it slows down the further it gets away from where the Big Bang occurred. I view it as a regular explosions, like a grenade for example, the fragments of a grenade move the fastest when the grenade explodes, but the frags eventually slow down and stop. I am not saying that the expansion of the universe will stop, but it will get to a point where it barely moves to notice.
That is one of the three main theories. The universe will either expand until it finally exhausts all it's energy and freezes (slowing as it goes), or it will reach a point where it can't expand any farther and it then begins to collapse into a Big Crunch, or it will continue to expand but it's rate will slow continually, never quite reaching a stopping point but never really dying out either.

In any of these scenarios, the transfer of consciousness from one human to an exact "duplicate" human elsewhere in the universe is possible, but negligibly probable.

That's what I was going to say. Isn't it to do with the abundance of dark energy and it's propogation, I guess there's a lot more to it than that, but the universe is definetly expanding at an accelerated rate...so energy hasn't necessarily shown any signs that it will die out.

Well dark matter (as well as gravity) could possibly keep things clustered...but I need to check that. Dark energy is different...but as for consciousness, I can't see why it can't be cyclic or in more than one place, or anything else. It's hard to say what it actually is, where it resides et.c...and I don't think any physical attributes that we have observed of the universe have changed that, well not yet.

Now, universe is infinite [...'] Infinite universe never goes away

We don't know if the universe is infinite or not. I happen to believe it's finite. The latest WMAP data tends to agree... but it isn't proof.

Do you mean that, if time for yourself ceases to exist upon death, and lets assume the universe is an open universe and will be here forever, then is it possible for all for all our particles that made us up to gather at the same place and we will wake up as though nothing has happened?

I think probably yes, but as has already been pointed out this is infinitessimally small, and may be just as likely to come back as an onion or something like that.

Does heizenbergs uncertainty principle have any sort of sway in this sort of thing too? i remember seeing a tv show by brian green on string theory and he gave examples (in the 'quantum cafe' for those who have seen it) that its just a probability that something exists the way it is. given an infinite amount of time for this, do the odds of something like this happening increase dramatically?

Do you mean that' date=' if time for yourself ceases to exist upon death, and lets assume the universe is an open universe and will be here forever, then is it possible for all for all our particles that made us up to gather at the same place and we will wake up as though nothing has happened?

I think probably yes, but as has already been pointed out this is infinitessimally small, and may be just as likely to come back as an onion or something like that.

Does heizenbergs uncertainty principle have any sort of sway in this sort of thing too? i remember seeing a tv show by brian green on string theory and he gave examples (in the 'quantum cafe' for those who have seen it) that its just a probability that something exists the way it is. given an infinite amount of time for this, do the odds of something like this happening increase dramatically?[/quote']

Forgetting the universe for a moment, I can easily say that a new you could come back in 500 years...just to pick a number. :)

Information containing the "you" right now.... is in the air you exhale or the dead skin flowing off your body daily, etc etc. There is a lot of "you" spread around everywhere. I'm not crazy, I just have a very open mind.

Bet

As far as the underlying idea of the thread goes:

If you believe in cyclical causality (and therefore strong determinism) the same events that lead to you being born will happen over and over again ad infinitum.

So if causality is cyclical (and strong determinism holds), you will be born again ad infinitum because your birth is ultimately causally linked to the creation of the universe, i.e. there could not be a universe without you being born when you were.

This is an assumption, albeit a somewhat common one. We have no way of determining if consciousness lives on after the death of the body.

Even if it doesn't exist right after you are dead, it doesn't necessarily mean that it will never exist again. We have seen that it is theoretically possible to exist, haven't we? ;)

The observable[/i'] universe is not infinite, it is constantly expanding and limited due to the speed of light.

The probability that there exist higher dimensions than "our" three is quite high, isn't it? Then there may be parallel universes in an infinite(?) multiverse, and if that is the case, then at least we can say that there will always exist a universe like our. I recommend Max Tegberg's "Parallel Universes".

The complexity of the 100 trillion cells that make up your particular body would yield an infinitesimal probability of another exact[/i'] you occurring somewhere else. While it remains infinitesimally possible, it is in no way probable.

If there exists some kind of infinity, then the probability will absolutely not be small at all, but on the other hand very high!

This is much longer than current theories place the life of the universe. If gravity acts as a brake on expansion, we may have another 50 billion years before a Big Crunch happens. If expansion is continual, then another 10 trillion years will see all exisitng stars burn out and the universe will go cold and dark.

Exactly! But if parallel universes exist, then there isn't that important whether THIS exact universe exists or not somewhere in the future.

(If you didn't get it, I'm very fascinated by Multiverse theories these days. :D )

And the answer to he/she who started this thread: Yes. :cool:

Has anyone read a book called "world without time"? It's Einstein’s personal and secret work with Hogel. In the book they say that if you can travel into past, then it has never passed. If you asked me about time I would tell you that we all live the same amount. A bacteria’s life can be only a couple of seconds, but in those seconds it reproduces, feeds, grows and dies. Those two seconds probably seems like an eternity to them, while to us it's a blink of an eye. I bet that our 80 year life is just a blink of an eye to the universe. What brings me down the most is the fact that in my lifetime, and even in the future we will never be able to see anything more that what we do now. Maybe something will be answered when you die, and I sure as hell hope that the ultimate question is answered then.

Universe can either be A: an illusion or B: Forever. Only things without a beginning can last forever, and universe never began. There was something even before a big bag, I don’t know if I read it right, but a big bang is a collision of two parallel universes, which are packed together in something like "membranes". There are infinities of these parallel universe just floating around.