Should the government impose mandatory limits on greenhouse gases?

blike

Should the government impose mandatory limits on greenhouse gases?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should the government impose mandatory limits on greenhouse gases?

• Yes
    • No

:toilet: It would cripple our already vulnerable economy.

Maybe something that could be phased in might work.

Bad management and greed got us in this situation.

There used to be a very efficient electric train system throughout Orange County and Los Angeles, Ca. but big auto industry and tire industries lobbied and had the whole system scrapped and replaced with buses. It was a big scandal but it still happened. This was back in the fifties.

Big money is hard to fight.:flame:

Juat aman

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

here here sayo

we SHOULD impose restrictions, maybe not for tomorrow, or lata this week, but we will deeply regret it in 50 or 100 years. you say now its a limitation on our earth, but one day because of it, there will be no habitable earth, what will you say then?

I agree with you Sayo, although opponents of restrictions will point to data that suggest otherwise (which doesn't necessarily mean it's correct).

Isn't it possible though that our weather patterns follow a humungous cycle that can't yet comprehend? For instance the day to day weather is constantly changing (we have an unseasonably warm day in december, a cold day in June, etc.) What if the weather patterns move in such a large cycle that we're having an "unseasonably warm century" or a "cold decade" etc.......

Isn't it possible though that our weather patterns follow a humungous cycle that can't yet comprehend?

Yes, that's entirely possible.

But given that the outcome is going to be "carry on as normal" or "planet is shafted", and we don't know which, you'd think civilisation would want to play it a bit safer :-(

• 3 weeks later...
actualy' date=' if I`m not mistaken, either in Australia or New Zealand, they have a "tax" on methane emmisions from cattle (farts).

I`m not quite sure how it works, but it`s quite true :)

here, I found this: http://rucus.ru.ac.za/~wolfman/Essays/Cow.html

see, I WAS being serious afterall :)

How much methane does a cow produce then. Does it really add to a greenhouse effect.

I voted yes. I think we should have strict regulation on all forms of pollution and environmental issues. Not the kind that will completely cripple business, but well thought out plans that will significantly lower pollution. There are plenty of measures that would cost a mere pittance to big business and cause a significant decrease in pollution. The U.S. would already have these laws if big business didn't have so much influence on the government. America's refusal to make adequate laws about environmental issues has also influenced the rest of the world that is not as willing to make more laws that would put them economically behind the U.S.

How much methane does a cow produce then. Does it really add to a greenhouse effect.

LOL, I`ve no idea in all honesty, I`ve never been that close to measure a bovine fart :)

but yes, Methane is a serious greenhouse gas, and of course it`s the accumulation of these little cow indiscretions over several heads of cattle over many farms that creates the problem, or at least part of the problem. I`m fairly sure that Sheep are taxed in a similar way too.

How much gas does a farting cow produce? Enough. We have an awful lot of cows in this world, ya know. A good question would also be "how much methane gas does a city full of farting humans produce?" I suggest we put a fart tax on people who sit around on their couches eating potato chips and contributing to global warming. 5 cents for every burst of methane laden wind, eh?

On a slightly more serious note, I just read an article a few days ago about huge greenhouse gas emissions coming from a Brazilian dam because they basically flooded an entire forest that is now rotting underwater. Kind of sucks, when you think about it. Our stupidity is really catching up to us. Or, more truthfully, other people's stupidity is starting to affect all of us around the world.

LOL' date=' I`ve no idea in all honesty, I`ve never been that close to measure a bovine fart :)

but yes, Methane is a serious greenhouse gas, and of course it`s the accumulation of these little cow indiscretions over several heads of cattle over many farms that creates the problem, or at least part of the problem. I`m fairly sure that Sheep are taxed in a similar way too.[/quote']

We have all been looking in the wrong place. Its not factories, cars etc that are causing global warming, its mass farming :D:D

• 3 weeks later...

I voted no, because some plants/animals naturally emit greenhouse gasses. Natural disasters also give off a lot of gas. Mt. St. Helens probably put out more greenhouse gasses than the entire midwest USA has this year.

I voted no, because some plants/animals naturally emit greenhouse gasses. Natural disasters also give off a lot of gas. Mt. St. Helens probably put out more greenhouse gasses than the entire midwest USA has this year.

As excuses go, that one is pretty retarded.