Edit post compramise?

Hi all :)

I'm shure I'm not the only one that feels the edit restrictions are annyoing, especially when you havea big error to correct or something that should be added for other readers.

So here is my idea, Wikipedia keeps a record of all previous edits, would it not be possible to do something likethat for a post? That way there could be unlimited edits over any period of time while maintaining the flowof the thread by keeping previous copies for reference.

Would something like that be possible?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

That would be hard to pull off. You'd have to create a seperate db table, more code to display "previous revisions," and so on. All it does is create more problems (moderators have to revert posts) instead of blocking edits entirely.

But it is a decent idea, just it would take a lot of effort to execute. You can always PM a moderator if you need a post edited.

But it is a decent idea' date=' just it would take a lot of effort to execute. You can always PM a moderator if you need a post edited.[/quote']

You could, but that would be a waste of their time if you were say trying to maintain a list of useful links or posts that are useful in a thread.

If that would not work, how about an edit reason field (REQUIRED), this would then be added to the post after it has been edited so the people in the thread can esily see what was changed and why? Sound like a more reasonable solution?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I'm shure I'm not the only one that feels the edit restrictions are annyoing, especially when you havea big error to correct or something that should be added for other readers.
I can talk to Dave about extending the edit window a bit. I think it's set for six hours right now.

There's no reason why you can't correct a bad post with a better post later in the thread. Then a mod can either soft delete it or just leave it in since you've made corrections in another post.

The edit window prevents people from going back and changing a bunch of stuff that leaves threads in a shambles, something that's been abused before. It also helps with Warnings since the culprits can't edit the evidence. But mostly in a science and debate forum it's important to be precise the first time around. Pleez tri knot tu mayk enny miztakkes.

If that would not work' date=' how about an edit reason field (REQUIRED), this would then be added to the post after it has been edited so the people in the thread can esily see what was changed and why? Sound like a more reasonable solution?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones[/quote']

It's not required, but it's already there.

I bet it would be a pain in the buttox to code, but could vB be set up so that, in any edits made after x hours, anything that gets deleted gets replaced with strike throughs, and any added text gets displayed in a different colour, like this:

"biology is the study of atoms living stuff"

last edited today by dak. reason: corrected mistake

I bet it would be a pain in the buttox to code' date=' but could vB be set up so that, in any edits made after x hours, anything that gets deleted gets replaced with strike throughs, and any added text gets displayed in a different colour, like this:

"biology is the study of [str']atoms[/str] living stuff"

last edited today by dak. reason: corrected mistake

Sounds like an interesting idea, should be do able also, as for how hard that depends on the complexity of the task... could just do somehting like a comparitive string search and compare the two I guess.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I think that would probably make thread readability even worse. I mean, if you go and change whole paragraphs, you're going to strike through loads of stuff and make it really not very nice to look at. If I have some free time over the summer, I'll look into making the revert post option, but for the time being I think the current system works fairly well.

I think that would probably make thread readability even worse. I mean, if you go and change whole paragraphs, you're going to strike through loads of stuff and make it really not very nice to look at. If I have some free time over the summer, I'll look into making the revert post option, but for the time being I think the current system works fairly well.

I agree... I have no problems with the current system.