Nasty carpet problem...don't read whilst eating.

Royston

On Saturday I went for a walk across the South Downs, just 2 minutes from where I live, we walked so far we decided not to turn back and walk back down and through a neighbouring town, I scraped the muck from my trainers (trying to make sure I didn't get any on my hands) with a stick and famished went to a deli to get a bacon and brie on ciabatta...mmm.

12 hours later I woke in my bedroom with the worst fever, and cramps I had since travelling, I rushed to the toilet...but was so delirious I collapsed off the toilet smacking my head on the sink and erm done my business on the floor, I was then violently sick...for some reason I decided to go back to my room because I was so ill I just had to lie down, I then done my business as I went through the door, and carried on being violently sick for the rest of the evening ( I actually thought I was going to die )

I slept for about half an hour woke to clean up, but was too ill do anything...it took me a couple of hours to muster myself to clean up (I really appreciate what nurses go through now.) Needless to say I heard 'Oh my GOD' from the first house mate who woke up. Unfortunately my entire house came down with the illness (probably due to the mess), so it was a good few days of a chorus of vomiting and such. The illness lasted just under a week. I really had no control of my bodily functions when the illness 'peaked.'

Two questions...

1. I realised I had acute dysentery of some sort, but what strain could I pick up from the countryside that could make me so ill.

2. What can I use to kill the rest of the bacteria in my carpet with out something that's going to bleach or discolour the carpet...I can't seem to find a carpet shampoo that deals with parasitic human faeces stains. I've washed it thoroughy several times but I just need to be sure.

Do you have something against bacon and brie, or are you being serious. Because I'll chase it up if you are...the bloke at the deli's a pretentious toss pot as well, so it would be my pleasure to shop him for food poisoning.

Thing is the illness went on for nearly a week...so I'm not convinced it was that.

Unfortunately my entire house came down with the illness (probably due to the mess), so it was a good few days of a chorus of vomiting and such.
Did your entire house go on the walk?

Did your entire house have bacon and brie on ciabatta (that does sound tasty).

You gave us a little too much info about the illness and not enough about the contamination. Salmonellosis can develop in 12 hours and can last untreated for 7 days, and it's symptoms include diarrhea, fever, and abdominal cramps. You could have picked it up from stepping in fecal matter or it could have been introduced into your sandwich by a sloppy and pretentious deli staffer.

Did your entire house go on the walk?

Did your entire house have bacon and brie on ciabatta (that does sound tasty).

You gave us a little too much info about the illness and not enough about the contamination. Salmonellosis can develop in 12 hours and can last untreated for 7 days' date=' and it's symptoms include diarrhea, fever, and abdominal cramps. You could have picked it up from stepping in fecal matter or it could have been introduced into your sandwich by a sloppy and pretentious deli staffer.[/quote']

I see your point, but I needed to go into detail about the illness to illustrate if the parasite is passed through the faeces then the rest of my house mates could of caught the bug...touching door handles et.c

I was the only one to eat the brie and bacon sandwich, but I'm not sure that means the rest of my house mates couldn't of recieved the bug...that's why I was wondering what strain it could be. Can food contamination be passed on like that ? I'm still under the assertion, that it was when I scraped my shoe...then ate. The deli has a very good reputation. Maybe what animal faeces could carry a strain that causes violent dysentery. It's odd because it doesn't fit with the common UK type...which is quite bad, but this was unbearable at it's peak.

Do you have something against bacon and brie, or are you being serious.

I rather like bacon and brie myself. In fact, I often have a bacon and brie (with red onions too) toastie at O'briens for lunch.

Did you ask for extra fecal matter on your sandwich that day?

Well, it's over with and you should take extra care next time about washing up before eating. Rehydrate yourself and be glad you're young. Salmonellosis can kill older folks.

I recommend you thoroughly clean your trainers. For your carpet, do you have OxiClean for clothes-washing in the UK? I mix the powder in water and put it in a sprayer for carpet stains. Start out with a very light spray (small amount, DON'T soak it), let it penetrate for a few minutes and BLOT with a cloth you can dispose of. Too much OxiClean will bleach out the carpet so start with a little and then wait till it dries before using more. Either use gloves or wash well afterwards.

For added peace of mind use a disinfectant spray on the areas. Then go have a bacon and brie on ciabatta (put some red onions on this time; that'll probably kill any bacteria :P ).

Everything has been thoroughly disinfected, and your right it is over...I was just curious I guess. I can't imagine an elderly person putting up with that. I'll take your carpet cleaning tip..thanks !