Error Message

herme3

I went to a web site the other day, and I saw a strange error message:

error.bmp

After that, I haven't had any other problems going to any other web site. Do you know what that message means? Was somebody doing a DOS attack against my computer, or the web site?

If you click OK it probably takes you to a site selling penile enhancement drugs (DOS Attack? Der Ober S[/b']chlong mit Viagara! Yah!) :D

If your using IE I would not put it past - things like that ar easy to do in IE (CRAP). Or it could be trying to make you uy some fancy $400 firewall sofware that does nothing special...

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

the server that the site is stored on, however, could be configered to redirect any access attempts to 127.0.0.1 and display a javascript popup thingy if it thinks that it is being DoS'd.

a potential attacker would also be a potential legitimate visitor... maybe they think the popup is politer than just not answring? And if it's only being dos'd a little bit, delivering the redirect/popups would probably be a lot less strain than delivering the web pages.

although that's entirely speculation/guesswork on my part.

If you're being DoS'd, the entire point is that your server is being overloaded with a lot of requests. Why serve (essentially) useless requests under these circumstances? It's just going to put more strain on the server.

It looks like some cheap JavaScript script. I don't think it would be particularly useful in preventing any sort of DoS attack personally.

It might have really directed you to 127.0.0.1

On some networks this will bring up the server or host computer, but on other networks (incl. my own) it is nothing and meaningless so you would get the "page cannot be displayed" message because it [the page] doesn't exist.

On some networks this will bring up the server or host computer, but on other networks (incl. my own) it is nothing and meaningless so you would get the "page cannot be displayed" message because it [the page'] doesn't exist.

I thought 192.168.0.1 is supposed to take you to the host computer and 127.0.0.1 is supposed to be a loopback to your own computer.

Both the IPs you mention do (in some cases and then only by default) do the things you say.

However as I said it is not always the case (depends on router/server) and is only the default values and so can be changed by the user.

Err... I've never seen that. There's always javascript:window.close() that closes your window, but I don't think IE gives you an error message first. Perhaps they're messing with your mind.

Don't use IE.

edit: noticed that there's a misspelling in herme3's error box... I think it's a javascript trick.

javascript:window.close() doesn't display a popup, try typing it into the address bar in IE and press enter, it will just shut the window, no message. Actually, 1veedo, try doing that just to check you haven't got some javascript error message thing enabled.

And what site where you on when you got it? If it was a one off and you were browsing the internet then it's probably just a page you were on and nothing to worry about.

Oh yeah, good point Cap'n... herme3's error message says "furthur", MS wouldn't make that typo, someone coding a popup box could.

The DOS attack thing is likely a joke but could be your router/firewall warning you of a problem. 127.0.0.1 is your own computers internal address btw and I cant think of any reason you'd be redirected to that.

A router cannot create popup messages on a computer (unless you are on the router config page). Furthermore even if it did it would not be through IE (unless you were on the router config page in IE). But anyway, herme3 would have known if he was on his router's config page and he wasn't.

Also the fact that he says that 127.0.0.1 is nothing on his network makes it even less likely that the message could have originated from the router.

Similarly a firewall message would not come through IE.

Err... I've never seen that. There's always javascript:window.close() that closes your window, but I don't think IE gives you an error message first. Perhaps they're messing with your mind.

It actually is a message programmed somewhere into IE. I've seen it before on multiple web sites. Sometimes the windows just closes, and sometimes that message is displayed. Perhaps it depends on what code is used to close the window.

A router cannot create popup messages on a computer (unless you are on the router config page). Furthermore even if it did it would not be through IE (unless you were on the router config page in IE). But anyway' date=' herme3 would have known if he was on his router's config page and he wasn't.

Also the fact that he says that 127.0.0.1 is nothing on his network makes it even less likely that the message could have originated from the router.

Similarly a firewall message would not come through IE.[/quote']

I wasn't on my router's config page, so I don't think the message came from my router. I use ZoneAlarm Pro for my firewall, and all of its messages look very professional unlike the message that I got.

It actually is a message programmed somewhere into IE. I've seen it before on multiple web sites. Sometimes the windows just closes' date=' and sometimes that message is displayed. Perhaps it depends on what code is used to close the window.

[/quote']

I second this I can't remember when it appears and doesn't though, I used to know :(

Sometimes a code telling a window to shut brings up a "DoS attack detected" popup, err, why?

Or maybe it is that you program there to be a popup box which if the user clicks OK it shuts the window, I could make that.

Sometimes a code telling a window to shut brings up a "DoS attack detected" popup' date=' err, why?

Or maybe it is that you program there to be a popup box which if the user clicks OK it shuts the window, I could make that.[/quote']

we're refereing to the second screen shot posted...