Physics 12 question

Krz

well my physics class was assigned some homework the other day, and not even the teacher knew how to do this question (i live in a very small town :cool: ) anyway if anyone can help me out with this :

"An unmarked police car, traveling a constant 90km/h, is passed by a speeder traveling 140 km/h. Precisely 1.00 s after the speeder passes, the police man steps on the accelerator. If the police car's acceleration is 2.00 m/s^2, how much time elapses after the police car is passed until it overtakes the speeder (assumed moving at a constant speed)?"

Umm I just noticed there's a homework forum, eheh sorry

the answers 15.8, i guess i should have posted that earlier. I just dunno how to get it

What equations apply here? As Athiest notes, you want to have an equation that will let you solve for the position of each car, so you can set them equal.

Is this supposed to be a running gag?

No, just mangled typing. Transposing i and e doesn't jump out at me like other typos do when I proofread. I assume the same when I'm call swansot, swasnont, or some such. Don't attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence. ;)

I solved this problem the way Atheist said. I used the equations:

Position_Speeder(time) = [math](13.88 m)+(38.88 \frac{m}{s}) t[/math]

Position_Police(time) = [math](25 \frac{m}{s}) t+\frac{1}{2}(2.00 \frac{m}{s^2})t^2[/math]

these equations are set up so that t=0 is when the police man begins accelerating, so after you set these equal to each other and solve for t you need to add one second for the second it took the police man to react.

No, it is for position. Look at the units they all work and if you work out the problem you get the right answer. I would show you how I got it but I think that everyone should try it without seeing the process before I post the steps I used.

thanks for the replies ^_^ but what is this "ansatz Position_Speeder(time) = Position_Police(time)"? is it a well known formula for physics? i havent even heard of it before, i just saw the question solved using factoring and whatnot :S but you guys made it look way easier ^^

acceleration = change in velocity / time

2.00 m/s2 = + 50 kph (0.014 kilometres per second) / ?

2/0.014 = 142.857 + 1 second = 143.857 seconds -> 2.4 minutes

Oh damn - I just realised the actual speed has to be above 140. I'm not that good at physics calculations anyway. I always think too one-dimensionally.

acceleration = change in velocity / time

2.00 m/s2 = + 50 kph (0.014 kilometres per second) / ?

2/0.014 = 142.857 + 1 second = 143.857 seconds -> 2.4 minutes

Oh damn - I just realised the actual speed has to be above 140. I'm not that good at physics calculations anyway. I always think too one-dimensionally.

You are off by a factor of 100 somewhere.

What equations apply here? As Athiest notes, you want to have an equation that will let you solve for the position of each car, so you can set them equal.

Yeah - there should be two equations which can be solved simultaneously.

From the given 2 constant speed from the question, you can use the graphic calculator to find the intersection point.

Be careful: One of the equations should be y= nx + 1, where n is the value of the constant, and 1 is the passing second when the police accelerates.

When you find the intersect point, find the distance of the line, and you should have the answer.

Sorry if I sound confusing.

I think the question has already been beaten to death, resurrected and twisted into some weird abnomination (it´s only one equation to solve @Cluod and there is only one velocity that remains constant over time @Evon).

It would be nice to have some feedback from Krz to know if he found the answer he was looking for (ideally with a description of what he understood and how he solved it) or if there´s some additional questions. Afterwards, there´s absolutely no problem if someone who knows how to solve the problem presents the full solution (approach, solving the solutions and plugging in the numbers - and please don´t supress the units!).