Dedicated Mathematician

EvoN1020v

Any comments on post #75 please?

I looked on the Internet for geometric sequence formula, and it appeared to be the same with my teacher's. :confused:

I input my answer on the graphic calculator and it gave me the perfect number of 52, 470.

Any help?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had that stupid cube cut in half problem when I did the fermat's last year. Exact same problem :P needless to say I didnt get the answer lol

I have a problem from another fermat exam I found on the internet (section c).

Bill and Jill are hired to paint a line on a road. If Bill works by himself he could paint the line in B hours. If Jill works by herself, she could paint the line in J hours. Bill starts painting the line from one end, and Jill begins painting the line from the other end one hour later. They both work until the line is painted. Which of the following is an expression for the number of hours that Bill works?

(A) [math]\frac{B(J+1)}{B+J}[/math] (B) [math]J+1[/math] © [math]\frac{BJ}{B+J}+1[/math] (D) [math]\frac{B+J-1}{2}[/math] (E) [math]\frac{B(J-1)}{B+J}[/math]

Err, hokay. Let's try this.

So let x be the time during which Bill works.

So x-1 will be the time during which both Bill and Jane work.

In 1 hour, bill completes [math]\frac{1}{B}[/math] of the job, and same with Jane, completing [math]\frac{1}{J}[/math].

So, multiplying them by the time x and x-1 (for Jane).

[math]\frac{x}{B}+\frac{x-1}{J}=1[/math], 1 being the entire job, the entire wall being painted.

Err I think all to do now is to simplify and solve for x:

Multiply the equation by BJ to get rid of the denominators, ending up with [math]xJ+xB-B=BJ[/math].

Then factor out the x, and isolate it: [math]x(J+B)-B=BJ[/math], equals to [math]x=\frac{BJ+B}{J+B}[/math].

Factor out the B on the top and we're left with [math]\frac{B(J+1)}{J+B}[/math]

I think that's A. Assuming I'm correct, then EvoN1022v is correct as well! But he gets all the credit for answering first. How very unjust.;):P

I love The Thing's method of answering the question! Very brilliant. I solved the question using my locially mind, and estimate the amount of time Bob will paint the wall. Just a couple of scribbles, and a picture on a looseleaf is just good enough for me. :P

I have a question:

If [math]S_{n}>100[/math], what is the least value for n in the provided sequence?

[90, 45, 22.5,...]

The formula to solve this kind of question is: [math]S_{n}=\frac{a(1+r^{n})}{1-r}[/math] where a =first term, r =rate.

So input the values:

[math]\frac{90(0.5^{n}-1)}{-0.5}>100[/math].

I feel like a total idiot because I can't seem to figure out how to solve for n. I know that you have to use logarithms to solve the n. My teacher gave us bunches of questions except this one, because she said that we don't need to know how to do it. I said yeah right, I want to do it to challenge myself. So any help how to solve for the n?

The n should be at least 2.

okay, I understand

90 + 45 = 135 > 100, but you knew that

generalized...

[math]S_{n}=\frac{a(1+r^{n})}{1-r}[/math]

[math]r^n=\frac{S_{n}(1-r)}{a}-1[/math]

[math]n=log_r(\frac{S_{n}(1-r)}{a}-1)[/math]

I guess just round up. Haven't tried it, too tired

I apologize for my tardiness, because I have been busy with scholarships lately.

Here is the next question:

A right triangle in the first quadrant is bounded by lines y = 0, y = x, and y = -x+5. Find its area.

I know this is a easy math question, but I'll post harder one next time. :)

Aaarg I died horribly at today's Cayley contest. On one question, it wasn't until now, about 3 hours after the contest, did I remember that 0.56cm does NOT equal 56 millimeters. By far the worst reason to lose a whole chunk of 8 marks.

So for the question above, the three vertices are (0,0), (5,0), and (5/2,5/2)? Then just use those vertices to find the area.

6.25 units is the correct answer. Good job Connor. I'll post another math problem next week, or you guys can provide one. I'll be busy this weekend because I have Provinicials wrestling tournament.

Note to The Thing: My younger brother did the Cayley mathematician contest too, but Math is not his favorite subject. I just wished him some good luck. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am wondering how do you find the maximum/minimum of a quadratic equation? I did some exploring on the Internet, and I found out that you can find the devriative, and from that, you'll have the x-symmetry, and then you'll get the value of the maximum/minimum.

Can anybody give me an example, and tell me how to find the devriative for it?

Thanks. :)