Please Answer These Questions

saalro

I am affraid you are wrong, i'm not at school , i am actually 18, i just only recently took interest in science after deciding i would not mind knowing about the place i live and the surroundings. I know they are basic questions but we have to start somewhere.

You should not assume things mr, but i forgive you.

By this what i mean is, water, also known as H2O, is this an element or compound, if not what is it?

Trees, mud and grass, do all these contains elements or compunds? - please answer this one.

Why are certain natural materials from the earth named element and why are some named compounds, is there anything other than elements and compunds?

the difference between elements and compounds is that an element cannot be split up into simpler substances by chemical means because it only contains one type of atom, whilst a compund is formed by different elements chemically bonding together.

if a substance contains different types of particles that haven't chemically bonded and can be separated by physical meant, then it is a mixture.

so H2O is a compound and yes all the things you mentioned (trees, mud, grass...) are made of elements

I was in school when I was 18. For your questions:

Q1: One could start pedantic discussions about what "natural material found from the earth" means or whether it still counts as a "yes" if solar energy (which comes from the sun) was used in the creation process. Perhaps others will do that. In the sense I think you meant the question I´d answer it with "yes" (where should it come from otherwise, anyways?).

Q2, Q3: It boils down a bit to what you mean by "materials". In fact, I don´t know a scientific definition for the term. I don´t know about your education level but perhaps taking a look at the "fundamental concepts" section of the wikipedia link below and following the links at the terms provides a starting point for you to read up on what you are interested in. Namely the terms "Elements", "Compounds" and "Substance" might be interesting at first.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemistry

By natural material i mean everything on the earth that was created when the world was created and natural processes thereafter.

Well in England we finish school at 15/16, then go on to college IF we want , not sure how things work in your area! But thats not the point i'm interesting in the science right now, ha.

And them, i did not know the words in which to put so i thought i would leave it out thinking no one would question it, but i was wrong, and you owe me an apology mr.

Back to the questions, can any one answer them please i really need to know. Thanks

By natural material i mean everything on the earth that was created when the world was created and natural processes thereafter.

In this case there´s two things that come to my mind:

1) Meteors. They certainly added .... errr ... material to earth after it was created. The amount might be small (also depends on what age you think earth has) but there certainly were meteor impacts.

2) Plants. They need sunlight to grow. The sunlight comes from the sun. Here, you can either say "all the trees around me wouldn´t be there without the sun therefore not all material comes from earth alone" or you could say "but the raw materials for the plants were here before and the sun just helped converting them".

There is not always a simple answer to a yes/no question. If you just need the answer for your personal knowledge, I don´t think it´s nessecary to have a definite "yes" or "no", anyways. Not everything is black or white.

Can someone just answer this please:

Are the natural materials found from the earth all named either elements or compounds, if not what are they, is there anything other than elements and compounds?

Can someone just answer this please:

Are the natural materials found from the earth all named either elements or compounds' date=' if not what are they, is there anything other than elements and compounds?

By natural material i mean everything on the earth that was created when the world was created and natural processes thereafter.[/quote']You've gotten several answers but your questions remain the same. This really looks like homework. Please study the links you've been given.

Thankyou very much YT2095, that was the type of answer i was looking for.

I am aware materials is not the correct word, but what is the correct word for everything that was there before the world was created, when the world was created, natural processes after, before scinetists named "" elements and compounds?

Thanks all for you help, much appeciated.

you can feel when sunlight hits you, this light has no Mass, it`s not composed of Matter, but you still Experience it`s effects, there is the exception I had in mind.

a general rule of thumb is that all Matter and Material has Mass, and thus would Weigh something in the presence of a gravitational field.

the Photon does not.

I understand.

Just one more question, living life forms, what are we and they? Everything that has a mass and takes space is named Matters and is either a element (Single or mixed) or compound, so what are we made from, any scienific name?

Thanks