How to determine fake scotch

Guest AdamInChina

Guest AdamInChina

Hi, this is Adam. I am Canadian. I live in China.

I just bought Johnnie Walker Red. It smells a little like menthanol. It could be my imagination.

How can I test it?

By the way, I am not a chemist. Can you suggest something easy I can do at home?

Thanks,

Adam

Johnnie Walker Red label is really meant for mixing, probably why it tastes of methanol to you, anyway I found this in wiki...

Johnnie Walker Red Label - a premium blend of grain whisky and malt whisky, it is the best selling whisky made by Johnnie Walker and the only one marketed with mixing in mind. Prior to 1909 it was branded as Extra Special Old Highland Whisky.

I just bought Johnnie Walker Red. It smells a little like menthanol. It could be my imagination.

How can I test it?

First' date=' get a clean plastic one gallon milk jug and remove the lid. Pour the JWRed into the jug and take it out to your back yard. Find an open patch of dirt [i']away from any vegetation[/i]. Turn the jug upside down and let the contents soak into the bare ground. If the bare ground turns to mud and still smells of methanol, it was genuine JWRed. If it ate through the plastic jug before you could pour it on the ground, it was fake.

Now go out and buy one of the single malts that Severian recommended.