Soil.

deltanova

Even if you just think about it without making any mesurements, we must have the same elements in us as the soil.

We do not just spontainiously create our bodies, the matter that makes up our bodies must come from some where. We get this "stff" from our food (plants and animals).

Where do these foods get thier mass?

Animals either get it from other animals, or from plants. Plants get their "food" from the soil and atmosphere (sunlight just helps them convert all those inorganic molecules and atoms into organic molecules).

So by following this chain all the way back, we can only come to the conclusion that all the "stuff" that makes us up, must come from our environment (ie the soil).

yes, i understand, plants use energy from sunlight with nutrients from the soil, nitrogen, carbon cycles ect. im just being annoying. lol,

though doesnt this process of getting our mass from the soil contradict that in genesis, man was said to some directly from the soil, not through plants and first and second order consumers. over a period of time?

so... god either used a very large amount of soil to create adam, or he just spontainously created the right proportions of elements?

or the claim that God fashioned Adam from earth is a figurative statement.

Either way some form of life did come from something like the soil that we have today, although more likely in a muddy swamp than the wondefully clean peat and clay that we use today. The first life would almost certainly have been some microbe that doesn't fit neatly into plant/animal.

If I remember correctly, Genisis doesn't say that fasioning Adam didn't take a while.

I'm saying that they may have meant something else when they said "day." And there weren't days until God created everything and said "let there be light", because days are measured in rotations of the earth, which supposedly didn't exist for a reference point until God created it.

3 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and He separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

that was the first thing he did, made day an night

I'm saying that they may have meant something else when they said "day." And there weren't days until God created everything and said "let there be light", because days are measured in rotations of the earth, which supposedly didn't exist for a reference point until God created it.

interestingly, in the bible light is created on the first day, but the sun technically wasn't created until the fourth day, at the same time as the moon and other celestial bodies.

God made two great lights--the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 [/size']And there was evening, and there was morning--the fourth day.

This means that the light that was created on the first day wasn't the literal light given off by the sun, but a "spiritual" or perhaps "intellectual" light that brought councioussness, or being to the universe.

look at verse five, "and there was evening and moring, the first day."

yes, but perhaps the "evening" refers to evil or lack of spirituality and "morning" refers to good or spirituality. But this is all conjecture anyway, so it doesn't matter that much. It's just an intereting idea that happens to be part of Kabbalah - even some of the most religious Jews don't take the whole Torah literally.

Or MAYBE it was written by someone (or, more accurately, a tradition of people) who meant what he (they) wrote but had a somewhat hazy knowledge of biochemistry and geological history. But I guess that's too far-fetched...

Insisting that the Bible means other than what it says is kind of a pet peeve of mine. What's more likely, that the authors knew all about the formation of the universe and the evolution of human beings, and then decided to write about it in an obscure and needless figurative way? Or they really thought the world was created in six days, and used that myth as a vehicle to pass on wisdom about human beings? Reminds me of the "Bible Code." You can find anything you want in it, after the fact and if you're willing to twist to any degree whatsoever.

Spinoza >>> Thomas

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...