A Working Lightsaber?

Quantoman

If we could somehow make the stream of photons converge after say, a meter, and hit each other that they undergo pair production at an increased rate you'd have your lightsaber and a stun-stick all in one!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we could somehow make the stream of photons converge after say, a meter, and hit each other that they undergo pair production at an increased rate you'd have your lightsaber and a stun-stick all in one!

That, and a very bad case of radiation poisoning from the annihilation radiation.

When a photon exceeds 1.022 MeV, the tendency of it to undergo pair production increases. In this case, the photon will split into an electron and a positron. The positron will then annihilate (the matter converts directly to energy) with another electron (ideally) to yield two photons, in 180° directions (from one another) of 0.511 MeV.

E=MC2, made real! Unfortunately, 0.511MeV is of low enough energy such that the majority (of one half of the output, considering 4pi geometry about the point-source, you being on one half of this) of its energy will likely be left inside you, in the form of hydroxyl and peroxyl radicals.

Cheers,

O3

A light sabre is a cute toy, but if Luke had been packing a good old fashioned Glock 9mm Darth Vader would have been dead a lot sooner.

Yes, there are problems about projectile weapons in space vessels, so you have to be careful where you point them.

Imagine if Luke had brought duel Uzi's and went 'Matrix' on Darth Vader and the Emperor.

He probably could've finished of Vader in 'Empire Strikes Back', and actually killing the Emperor would be very easy, I mean,

Force Lightning vs. two 3.5 kg 470 mm submachine guns...

food for thought, eh?

The thing though is that Jedi were able to block even laser weapons with their lightsaber, and even reflect them. As for physical objects, they would have been able to push around bullets. I do understand that the blocking was not foolproof though, but it would have made for a dull story if they could just shoot each other.

I see your point, but in general, Luke wasn't very smart.

As a precaution he should've worn rubber soled boots, rubber gloves, and a really brilliant thing to have done would be to have magnets in the palms of those gloves.

To deflect the emperors lightning, and to make summoning a lightsaber significantly easier.

I see your point, but in general, Luke wasn't very smart.

As a precaution he should've worn rubber soled boots, rubber gloves, and a really brilliant thing to have done would be to have magnets in the palms of those gloves.

To deflect the emperors lightning, and to make summoning a lightsaber significantly easier.

That's what the Force is for. You know, sensing electricity, deflecting lighting attacks, and summoning lightsabers.

Why does the weight of the Uzis matter? Is he going to throw them at the Emperor's head?

I just said it for fun because I happened to know that...don't ask why...

That's what the Force is for. You know, sensing electricity, deflecting lighting attacks, and summoning lightsabers.

When does any Jedi really sense electricity?

Unless of course we're saying that the Force is really electromagnetic waves/signals,

which actually would explain a lot.