Too much Sugar

ku

I drink on average 1.6 cups (400 milliliters) of Coca-Cola per day. Is this too much? What is a safe rate of Coca-Cola consumption?

Here is my basic knowledge of biology. Too much sugar in the bloodstream I don't think is that harmful, as there are many different types of sugars. However, the type of sugars in Coke are processed simple sugars (monosaccharides). How is this harmful as opposed to sugar from, say, fruits?

Can too much sugar lead to diabetes or is diabetes influence more by genes?

Any amount of Coca-Cola is too much.

According to hhttp://www.coca-cola.co.uk

There is 30 grams of sugar in a can (330 ml) of coca cola.

This means you are consuming about 36 grams of sugar per day, just from coca cola. The sugar in coca cola is derived from Corn Syrup (high-fructose)

Diabetes can be both diet related and genetic. But, often, it can be both. Too much sugar in your diet can "trigger" diabetes. Watching your diet, this could be avoided.

When blood sugar levels are tipped by ANY kind of sugar, the body reacts with insulin. After balancing the blood sugar, this hormone does a great many things you may not want, like increasing blood pressure, causing the kidneys to retain salt (and thus water), and restricting receptors in the blood stream that call for lipoproteins to deliver cholesterol (which forces the cells to manufacture their own).

I don't drink soda personally, but I don't think you're in too much danger from a can of Coke every day.

Hence, 'better yet drink water' :P

Personally, I'd take my chances with apartame then massive ammounts of sugar. I know, it probably can't be good for me but at the same time there has yet any significant evidence linking it to cancer. A high sugar intake on the otherhand, can lead to diabetes and other health problems related with high cal intake. The lesser of two evils, I suppose :)

Sugar is basicly "Hollow calories" of no real nutritional benefit, unlike more complex sugars and carbohydrates, however if you`re very active you`ll easily "burn up" those calories and more, causing no harm.

the Phosphoric acid in the coke is more likely to do the most damage.

• 1 month later...

Wow. If I were a rat I'd be scared to death of aspartame! Oh wait, I'm not a rat. I'm a human being. :D

(All kidding aside, I consume an ungodly amount of aspartame everyday in all of the diet soda I drink. As a diabetic for 23+ years now, if aspartame truly did cause cancer then we'd be seeing a MASSIVE increase in leukemias, lymphomas, and every other cancer that the article supposedly says is caused by aspartame. I have yet to hear of any increased cancer rates in insulin depedent diabetics who are most likely the biggest user base of aspartame).

Any amount of Coca-Cola is too much.

So your saying if I just have a tiny drop of coca-cola it will be too much? I'm looking for a source on the internet, but my science teacher last year said, "it isn't what you eat that's bad, it's how much of it you eat." In other words, nothing is bad for you, just follow the food pyramid to see how much coca-cola you should drink. Another thing, stick to what YT2095 said

if you`re very active you`ll easily "burn up" those calories and more

So your saying if I just have a tiny drop of coca-cola it will be too much? I'm looking for a source on the internet, but my science teacher last year said, "it isn't what you eat that's bad, it's how much of it you eat." In other words, nothing is bad for you, just follow the food pyramid to see how much coca-cola you should drink. Another thing, stick to what YT2095 said

Granted, a drop of coca-cola won't kill you. But it certainly isn't healthy for you. Wouldn't it better to drink a drop of something that will help you then something that might not hurt you?

And keep in mind, the sugar that's used in coca-cola also has links to cancer and, of course, diabetes, so it isn't just about the calories.

http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/sugar.htm

http://www.cancure.org/cancer_prevention.htm