Little Black Box in your Car?

IMI

• 6 months later...

They've been going on about this technology for years (I remember it being on "Tomorrow's World" in the early 90s so that's the kiss of death right there) and legislation has still not come to fruition in the UK.

I'd be quiet surprised if they became a legal requirement any time soon (although the way civil liberties are being quietly pruned back at the minute in the UK and US, it might not be that much of a surprise).

No, see, the next stage is when you are having a car accident, to go to one of the NSA satellites and download the pictures of the accident, plus the pictures of two hours earlier to check if you have been drinking, where, when and why.

Tomorrow's world.

Cap'n Refsmmat said in post # :

No, no, no. You get the pictures from a Predator spy drone.

I actually wouldn't mind a black box, because if some idiot crashes into me, I can prove it's his fault.

Will this be a special black box that monitors other peoples' cars?

Lack of evidence that you committed one of the driving offences that the device can actually monitor will never be accepted as proof that the other driver is to blame.

Sayonara³ said in post # :

I'd be quiet surprised if they became a legal requirement any time soon (although the way civil liberties are being quietly pruned back at the minute in the UK and US, it might not be that much of a surprise).

I wonder how they would cram that into anti terrorism laws. It is not like you need a black box to demonstrate someone was flying too low.

interestingly enough, I watched a program last night on Aerodynamics of different flying creatures (it was fascinating!).

in one instance they attatched a tiny radar transponder to a Bees back (it weighed only 10% of the Bees weight!).

and they let the bee go pollen hunting. using a radar tracking dish they could tell where the bee was and how fast it was moving!

it looked like half a pin with a little round base they glued onto the bees back.

that device was good for 10 miles tracking!!!

it made me think after I saw it, that something that small could be hidden or attatch to almost ANYTHING! and you wouldn`t know it. it carries no power of it`s own and so would be undetectable. it was real James Bond stuff LOL :)

and that was Civilian technology!

well when I 1`st say this bee with a tiny antenna on it`s back I thought COOL! your own radio remote controled Bee :)

but then they explained, I hid my dissapointment then got curios about the potential behind such a small device. something like that could quite easly be embedded in a car windscreen or the paintwork, you wouldn`t even know about it.

I figured that`s how these ankle tags work on criminals let out on probation or curfew too, no power cell in them, just a simple radar transducer, I DO NOT KNOW that part as fact, but that would be my guess.

and car lo-jacks are a great idea, wish we could afford one! :)

If this is civilian technology, have you any idea of the price (which I think must be quite high) or where one can get it?

Though won't it be easy to scan for it? It sends out its own radio-signals if I understood correctly. That should be easy to detect or shield against?

Btw, how does it get power if it carries no power by itself? By sucking power from its 'host'?

a unidirectional signal is sent out, the transponder picks this up and reflects it, that in turn is picked up by the reflector dish to the LNB and amplified, and the servo coordinants the dish was at the time are registered and displayed on a screen :)

• 1 month later...

Anyone use an...Ipass, or one of those "passes" that let you go through the toll booth without throwing in change or talking to a teller?

Try little white box on your windshield. They're going to monitor your speed based on how quickly you pay your tolls. Just another way our government is intruding our lives.

I carried mail for 2 years in a Jeep with a black box in CA. Perfect driving record but we had 4 accidents from hires that didn't speak English making left turns. The Gov't sent out a memo that we were no longer allowed to make left turns. That's only one of the reasons I quit. Another time an inspector came out with me to check the black box and when he jiggled the cover a joint fell out. The guy who last used it got in trouble but that was the only time I ever saw a black box do something useful.

Just aman