Why Calculus?

Adrian

Just wondering why calculus? I dont know much about this subject, just interested. What are some examples of real-life situations where u would need calculus?

I also heard that Cal 3 incorporates many dimensions....

explain!

why not calculus?

Calculus is used in many aspects of science... Physics, chemistry... anything really. Calculus is used to derive the many equations that exist. It is used to solve problems for the space shuttle and more.

edit: Calc. III involves functions on the x,y,z plane.

I'll explain very briefly... calculus can be used in many real life situations. For example, if you have a function which is your profit that is in the shape of the curve, and you want to maximise it, you would need to use calculus to help you find the value. Also, it can be used for find minimums of curves.

When used correctly, calculus can be one of the most powerful tools of a mathematician.

However, calculus can be used for a lot more than what I have stated. The other guys here, who have more knowledge than me would be able to help you. This is just what calculus means to me :)

one of my favourite examples is you have a sheet of material. you are going to make a box out of it by cutting squares out of the corners and folding up the sides. what size must the squares be to maximize the volume of the box?

sure it's an easy problem, but i like it. i'm not sure why.

It's kind of fun.

It shure is!

I'd say because it makes the things much eaier to do than would otherwise be possible although sometimes you'd think not but trust me calculus is easier than the other ways and in some cases the only way!

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

The main reason for me is that calculus is needed in pretty much every branch of physics. It's a subject that really does have a finger in most pies ;)

What can I say, we like pies!

I agree, calculus is amazingly usefull for manipulating equations the define physical quantities to make them define other ones basically...