Speed of sound?

Adrogans

If I understand correctly, sound waves are a part of electromagnetic radiation, and all electromagnetic radiation goes at the same speed (speed of light), right? So then I was wondering: how is it that the speed of sound is slower than the speed of light? Is it because the sound waves oscillate more, and thus the "stream" of photons make less forward movement than the light waves, which oscillate less? This has been perplexing me for a while now, and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sound waves are certainly NOT electromagnetic radiation, they are completely different from light.

Sound travels through an object because something vibrates at one end and this vibration is carried via the particles in a solid/liquid/gas.

Light however does not need something to travel through and is much faster.

Sound does not propogate via photons.

I suggest you do some Googling on sound waves. I found this sight that may explain things better, i hope you dont think im patronising:

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy00/phy00554.htm

If I understand correctly' date=' sound waves are a part of electromagnetic radiation, and all electromagnetic radiation goes at the same speed (speed of light), right? So then I was wondering: how is it that the speed of sound is slower than the speed of light? Is it because the sound waves oscillate more, and thus the "stream" of photons make less forward movement than the light waves, which oscillate less? This has been perplexing me for a while now, and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.[/quote']

Sound travels slower than light becuase sound isn't electromagnetic radiation. Sound is vibrations transmitted through an elastic solid or a liquid or gas, i have no idea how you even got the idea that sound was electromagnetic radiation.

I can understand the confusion.

Sound waves must travel through a medium. Electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacumn.

the power lines (U.S.) operate at 60 Hz and are electromagnetic waves, however, it you attach a speaker to them, you can convert them to sound waves.

the power lines (U.S.) operate at 60 Hz and are electromagnetic waves' date=' however, it you attach a speaker to them, you can convert them to sound waves.[/quote']

Because energy can change forms. You can convert electrical signal to physical vibrations that produce sound.

The speed of sound varies depending on what medium its traveling through. Sound travels the fastest in solids > liquids > gases.