bass frequency

rakuenso

A while ago I found out a sound that make everything in my room shake, the volume was constant (for those who've played homeworld 2, its the sound that it makes when you press space bar to zoom out and in to the world map) Any one have any idea what this frequency is? My suitemate is blasting his shitty hiphop again. I haven't found any bass deep enough to mimic the vibrations to launch a successful counterattack. Or, other ideas of counterattacks would also be appreciated.

without a suitable frequency counter and the same game, it`ll be impossible to determine accurately enough to give you a correct answer.

a simple sine wave signal generator fed into your speakers amp would certainly have the desired effect, you`de have to adjust it manualy until you found the natural resonant frequency though.

I`m sure there are music programs for the PC that will let you do this also, select something like a Flute, drop out the white noise if you can, and then play it out of it`s natural range (the lower end of your keyboard), that`ll give you a realistic sine wave and hopefully the frequency you`re after :)

40hz...aptly named subsonic. You'll find most graphic eq's on sound systems don't have 40hz as an option. You'll need to get some mastering software to enjoy it's delights.

Oh, as YT2095 stated the wave shape is important to get sufficient resonance. Sine waves have no harmonics so it's easier to achieve a precise frequency.

Resonance and standing waves is the answer. A bass wave needs so many feet to set up. At 40HZ and sound moving at 1100ft/sec that is 27 ft. If you have a 27 ft room you can set up a standing wave at 40HZ. You can adjust the wavelength and frequency to your size room. You also need to position the speaker square with the wall so the wave isn't scattered.

The problem (the good point) with most new speaker systems is that they use internal chambering to develop the wave internally so one can get longer wavelengths in a smaller room. They also position the speaker at a tilt to provent forming standing wave. You'll have to experiment.

If you dismantle your speakers you can get around the 'internal resonance' of the case it is in. I'm not suggesting you do this, it greatly reduces the quality of the sound... try it with some old speakers first, you'll see what I mean.

• 2 weeks later...

I did this by generating a sine wave from 0 to 100 Hz in 1 min 40 secs (100 secs). Saved an used a player to play it back, watching the display (0:40 is 40 Hz).

It's a very nice experience. 60 makes the floor hum. 72 gets the windows. 78 hits the metal piping and wiring cap on the stairwell. It's not hard once you get a 600W subwoofer in a 60 liter encosure. (it was in the middle of the room). In theory, you can make HIS windows hum, but this, overall, is pointless since the noise would be a lot worse near you than anywhere else.

I'm not sure if you want a countermeasure or a counterattack.

There are ways to counter the effect, or generate it if you wish, none are simple and inexpensive, however (like knocking on his door).

I did this by generating a sine wave from 0 to 100 Hz in 1 min 40 secs (100 secs). Saved an used a player to play it back' date=' watching the display (0:40 is 40 Hz).

It's a very nice experience. 60 makes the floor hum. 72 gets the windows. 78 hits the metal piping and wiring cap on the stairwell. It's not hard once you get a 600W subwoofer in a 60 liter encosure. (it was in the middle of the room). In theory, you can make HIS windows hum, but this, overall, is pointless since the noise would be a lot worse near you than anywhere else.

I'm not sure if you want a countermeasure or a counterattack.

There are ways to counter the effect, or generate it if you wish, none are simple and inexpensive, however (like knocking on his door).[/quote']

The key would be finding an object that resonates in the other area that does not resonate in yours.

A while ago I found out a sound that make everything in my room shake, the volume was constant (for those who've played homeworld 2, its the sound that it makes when you press space bar to zoom out and in to the world map) Any one have any idea what this frequency is? My suitemate is blasting his shitty hiphop again. I haven't found any bass deep enough to mimic the vibrations to launch a successful counterattack. Or, other ideas of counterattacks would also be appreciated.
You can probably make a room shake by sheer volume, without resonance.

If you can download a "chirp" (a varying frequency from say....20 Hz to 200 Hz), to a disk, and assuming you have a speaker (or other transducer) that will recreate the frequency, you could do some experimenting.

If you play the chirp, and if anything is is self resonant, and depending on the Q of the circuit, you'll get a large peak at the resonant frequency, not in volume, but in the vibration.

But be careful, if it's a series resonant circuit, with infinite Q, you may bring down the entire house.