Bringing Samples Back From Mars

1 hour ago, Photon Guy said:

If you ask me we should've done this a long time ago

I don't disagree, but funding is clearly not limitless so focus areas must be prioritized.

On 1/31/2024 at 10:23 AM, iNow said:

I don't disagree, but funding is clearly not limitless so focus areas must be prioritized.

Well I'm not sure just how much of a priority it would be to bring samples back from Mars as we already do have samples of Mars in the form of meteorites. 

I prefer to have the video contents summarised for discussion - if I watch every one that gets suggested to me there would not be enough hours.

I don't doubt that, given enough funding, aerospace companies will attempt Mars sample return missions, with reasonable expectations (but no guarantee) of success. But I expect it to continue to be easier and more cost effective to send remote operated robotic equipment to Mars to analyze mineral samples than bring samples back. If something of exceptional interest worthy of the kinds of study that can only be done on Earth gets found then the case could be made for a sample return mission. The knowledge is what is valuable although no doubt the samples would have collector value.

Not sure the extent to which Mars colony hype influences exploration priorities but it seems to be explicit in objectives for many Mars missions.