Turning in bed difficulty

Good morning all

While having a cataract removal consultation, I pointed out to the surgeon that I cannot lie still and she agreed to a general. She asked for details  and I told her that I have a regular uncontrollable desire to turnover in bed, so  much so that it ruins my sleep. I might have to turnover and then back again within a minute.

She said that I may have a neurological condition that can be dealt with. I did not want to spend her time on something that is not quite her "Realm"  Would you be kind enough to give me just a lttle information so that I know how to communicate properly with my GP?

Thank you.

2 hours ago, ohdearme said:

Would you be kind enough to give me just a lttle information so that I know how to communicate properly with my GP?

The only important information is what you are experiencing, just relate that to your doctor. 

2 hours ago, ohdearme said:

I have a regular uncontrollable desire to turnover in bed

Not an expert, but if this is an "uncontrollable desire" then a neurological source seems unlikely. Most movement disorders are described as "involuntary" and "abnormal" spasms and contractions. Would you describe your "desire" as more of an urgent need to change positions, or is it actually a physical twitch that moves you without conscious effort? 

Your physician should be able to distinguish between behaviors if you describe what you're going through, but it sounds to me like something similar to restless leg, where you feel uncomfortable until you turn over and change positions.

Thanks everyone.

Phi, your comment about "an urgent need to change positions", is about right, there is a feeling of "Relief" once I have turned. It's not involuntary, nor a twitch. I am aware of it.

I hope I am being consistent.

Best Alan

3 hours ago, ohdearme said:

Phi, your comment about "an urgent need to change positions", is about right, there is a feeling of "Relief" once I have turned. It's not involuntary, nor a twitch. I am aware of it.

So you feel relief once you've turned, but you still think about it and eventually you need to change again, knowing you'll feel relief again, at least for a while.

You should still talk to your doctor about it, but it sounds like something you can overcome with the right mental approach. I'm the occasional victim of the inappropriate throat tickle, where if I know I can't get up for a drink of water my throat starts tickling. Funerals, lectures, movies, if I start thinking about it too much I feel like I have to do something about it. The simple answer is to stop thinking about it, but sometimes it's not easy.